Transfer Students and Transfer Credits at the Vancouver Campus

Fairleigh Dickinson University Vancouver is committed to promoting student mobility and accessibility to education, and welcomes transfer students from recognized and accredited two-year and four-year institutions. FDU has skilled transfer advisors who can assist you in making the move to our University. Students may either be admitted to the university as a transfer student (see below), or as a regular student and apply to have transfer credit for courses they have taken at other institutions. Our staff are knowledgeable about credit requirements, transfer policies and the articulation agreements the University has with many two-year community colleges.

Students are required to fully disclose information on all academic institutions attended on their application form. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action. In order for coursework to be considered for transfer, transcripts must be provided to the Admissions office at the time of application.

To apply for transfer credits you can submit Application for Transfer Credits Consideration to Admissions before your program begins.

Transfer from within British Columbia

FDU–Vancouver is a program member of the British Columbia Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT) . Students, who have completed coursework at colleges and universities, which are a part of the transfer system, may receive credit for articulated courses. As of September 2007, FDU-Vancouver is in the process of articulating courses with various colleges in order to have their credit accepted to transfer. If your institution or courses do not yet appear in the transfer guide, the articulation process may be underway. Contact the admissions office at 604-682-8112 or e-mail at for more information.

Transfer from Other Provinces in Canada and the United States

In addition to the articulation agreements established by its campuses in New Jersey, FDU–Vancouver is establishing articulation agreements with a number of colleges in Canada and the US. Please contact the Vancouver admissions office for further information about our agreements. If your college does not have an agreement with FDUVancouver, your courses may still be considered for transfer credit, providing the college is accredited. 

Transfer from Colleges and Universities Outside of Canada and the United States

The University is pleased to accept transfer applications from international students. Credit for coursework taken at recognized and accredited universities or colleges may be accepted. For more information, please contact the Vancouver Admissions Office at 604-682-8112 or e-mail at

Transfer Credit Evaluation for Undergraduate Transfer Students

Once you are admitted into the university, you may be required to obtain a World Educational Services (WES) or equivalent course-by-course evaluation of your foreign credentials for transfer credit eligibility.

Without a WES evaluation, there is no guarantee that we will be able to award you transfer credits for your work. 

You must submit a WES evaluation on or before your arrival on campus. 

For more information and instructions, please visit the WES homepage.

You will need to request a course by course evaluation.  Please indicate in the add recipient section to check the FDU-Vancouver Campus.  Selecting the New Jersey campuses may delay the evaluation process.  You should allow 3-4 weeks for the evaluation.

Students from accredited institutions in Canada and the United States do not require a WES evaluation for transfer credit to FDU-Vancouver.  For students who have I.B. higher level exams, British A-levels, or AP exams, a WES evaluation will not be required for transfer credit evaluation.  Please submit all official exam results on or before your arrival on campus.

Frequently Asked Questions About the Transfer Process

Who qualifies as a transfer student?

Transfer students are students who have graduated from an accredited secondary school and have completed 24 credits or more of college course work at an accredited institution other than Fairleigh Dickinson University.

How do I apply for transfer credit at Fairleigh Dickinson University Vancouver?

First you must apply for admission to the university. Advanced evaluation of documents is generally not done. You must submit original transcripts from your college or university. If you are applying as a transfer student, your academic credentials will automatically be reviewed and assessed with your application. In the application form indicate that you want to be considered for transfer credits.

Is there a fee to have my transcript evaluated?

No, there is no fee to have an evaluation done.

How does Fairleigh Dickinson make transferring easier?

At FDU, we have developed a streamlined admissions program to make transferring — from both two-year and four-year colleges and universities — as simple and trouble-free as possible.

  • We have a generous transfer policy.
  • We have transfer counselors to work with you to insure as many as your credits will transfer as possible.
  • We have developed articulation agreements with a number of community colleges, which guarantee admission to FDU and the maximum number of transfer credits possible to transfer students.
  • We offer financial aid counseling and application assistance to transfer students.

What if I’m an international student?

If you are an international student thinking about transferring to Fairleigh Dickinson University Vancouver Campus, apply to FDU Vancouver undergraduate program, submit required information and indicate that you want to be considered for transfer credits. Once the decision on your application is made, Admissions team will advise you if your course work in eligible to receive transfer credits and what additional documents you need to provide to get them approved.

On what criteria is my application reviewed?

Your transfer student application is reviewed on the strength of the college-level courses you have completed and your cumulative grade point average. Your high school transcripts may also be used in order to develop a composite of your qualifications.

How will I know which credits will transfer?

  • For a course to transfer, it should be comparable in content and depth to a similar course at Fairleigh Dickinson.
  • You must have passed the course with a grade of “C” (2.0) or better (grade of "B" for graduate courses). (Note: A “C-“or “D” grade earned by students who have earned an associates degree may be considered for transfer credit. It will not be recognized for academic credit, if it is a course in your academic major.)
  • Only the credits from your previous courses transfer; the grade point average you earned does not transfer.

What is the maximum number of transfer credits FDU will accept?

It depends on the program you are applying for.

  • Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Bachelor of Science in Information Technology generally accept up to 60 credits maximum from accredited recognized institutions
  • 90 credits maximum for the Bachelor of Individualized Studies majors.
  • Students applying to Masters of Administrative Science program can receive up to 9 credits (maximum 6 credits in specialization area)
  • students in Master of Science in Hospitality Management Studies can receive up to 3 credits

Can I earn extra credit through exams?

Qualified students can earn college credit by examination through the College Board’s College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Advanced Placement (AP), TECEP and for prior work experience through the University’s unique Portfolio Review assessment. Credits may also be earned through evaluation by the American Council on Education (ACE) and PONSI. Students graduating through the International Baccalaureate (IB) program may also receive credit.

What is the transfer policy to the U.S.?

FDU shall permit students who enroll at the University’s campus in Vancouver to take courses at other FDU campuses, in the U.S. and U.K, following the completion of their first full academic year in Vancouver (two semesters minimally). In addition, students who wish to change campuses within the FDU system (move to one of the U.S. campuses) may do so as long as they have completed at least two semesters in Vancouver and are in “good academic standing” at the time they request to change campuses (see below). Students are required, however, to satisfy the necessary immigration requirements for the country of the campus they wish to go to, before initiating a change. Moreover, students have the opportunity to choose elective courses other than those prescribed in their major program of study, or to change major programs, provided that they have taken the necessary prerequisites and/or meet the specified entry requirements of their new program. [It should be noted that by taking courses outside one’s prescribed curriculum, by changing one’s major program of study or by changing campuses, the length of time required for a student to complete their degree program could be longer than eight semesters (three calendar years). Moreover, students who wish to change campuses and remain in the same major program of study may do so as long as they have a 2.0 (out of 4.0) CGPA at the time they request to change campuses. Students who wish to change campuses as well as their major program of study must obtain authorization to enter their new program of study from the appropriate department chair before a change in campus can be approved.]