2019 Commencement Q and A
When and where do I apply for graduation?
You must file with the Office of Enrollment Services to notify the University that you intend to graduate in May 2019. The application is located in WebAdvisor under Academic Profile. Click on the link: Application for Graduation. Shortly after you declare your intention to graduate, you will be notified by the Records Department if you meet degree requirements.
A graduation application fee will be billed to your account and it will be noted in WebAdvisor on your student bill.
The deadline to file for the May Commencement Ceremony has been extended to March 22, 2019.
IMPORTANT: Active Student Status
You must be an Active Student in order to log onto WebAdvisor and apply for graduation. Please contact the Office of Enrollment Services for your campus in order to be re-admitted and become an Active student or for additional information. For students that missed two or more major semesters (FA/SP) you must visit the Admissions Office in order to be re-admitted.
Florham Campus (973) 443-8600
Metropolitan Campus (201) 692-2472
When and where is the ceremony being held?
The ceremony is being held at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands Sports Complex, East Rutherford, NJ on Tuesday, May 21, 2019. The Commencement ceremony begins at 9 am Candidates for graduation must arrive no later than 8 a.m. and enter via the MetLife Gate of the Stadium. You will be lined up according to your degree and by college. No family or guests are permitted in the graduate line-up area.
Commencement Traffic Advisory
Please be advised that all participants in the May 21 Commencement at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands must be at the stadium by 8 a.m. Because of stadium parking reconfiguration and traffic lane construction, you should allow an extra hour of travel time. Families and friends of the graduates should also allow for the extra travel time. For up to the minute traffic updates, please visit www.511nj.org.
Where will I be able to park?
Parking at the stadium is permitted in any of the areas except as posted. Handicapped parking is also provided by permit only. Please access this link for driving directions.
Will diplomas be distributed on stage?
No, the diploma will be mailed to the home address indicated on the declaration form.
Will guests require a ticket for admission to the ceremony?
All candidates for graduation can have an unlimited number of guests. Therefore, an admission ticket for the ceremony will not be required.
Will accommodations be provided for disabled persons?
Services and Seating for Candidates with Disabilities
MetLife Stadium provides extensive accommodations for those with disabilities and the FDU commencement stage is wheelchair accessible. Please contact the Dean of Students Office at your home campus, if the candidate for graduation requires accommodations. The telephone number for the Florham Campus Dean of Students Office is 973-443-8935 and the Dean of Students telephone number at the Metropolitan Campus is 201-692-2190.
Services and Seating for Guests with Disabilities
- Seating for low mobility guests (standard stadium seat with few or no stairs) and accessible seating (platform seats for wheelchair users or people who require a folding chair), will be available at the graduation ceremony
- Seating cannot be reserved in advance and will be assigned as guests arrive at a 1+3 companions (low mobility) or 1+1 (accessible seating) ratios as availability permits. Should your party be larger, the additional members may sit in adjacent rows or sections.
- Accessible parking is available in Lot E, just outside the Verizon Gate
- Stadium staff will be available at the gates to assist in transportation from the gate to the section via a wheelchair for low mobility guests. Should your guest require a wheelchair for the duration of the event, it is recommended that they bring their own.
- An elevator to the 100 Concourse (event seating) is available at the Verizon Gate
- If assistance is needed during the event, please communicate with the Guest Service Representative in the seating section or visit the Guest Services Booth near section 124
- If your guest has a sensory disability and requires an accommodation, please reach out to Craig Mourton, email@example.com from Fairleigh Dickinson University to assist in making further arrangements
- Please note that this venue is outdoors and all seating areas are subject to the weather of the day (i.e. rain and/or heat)
- If you experience problems with obtaining the necessary accommodations for your Disabled guest, please contact the Dean of Students Office at your campus.
Where and when do I pick up my academic regalia and commencement announcements?
Candidates for graduation can pick up their academic regalia and commencement announcements at their campus “Graduation Salute” Program.
Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Note: If a candidate for graduation cannot attend the “Graduation Salute”, then the student can pick up academic regalia along with the commencement announcements at the bookstore of their primary campus on the following dates:
Florham Campus: Thursday, April 4 through Friday, May 17 (regular business hours)
Metropolitan Campus: TBD. Tel: 201-836-7818 FDU Bookstore
We encourage all students to attend the “Graduation Salute” Program. Note: Students in Online Programs please contact the Office of Online Programs if you have questions about graduation preparations.
THERE WILL BE NO FURTHER DISTRIBUTION OF REGALIA AFTER DATES SHOWN ABOVE.
Can I pick up my academic regalia and announcements at another FDU campus, other than my primary campus?
Students will not be allowed to pick up their academic regalia and announcements at another FDU campus other than their primary campus. In other words, Florham Campus students must pick up their academic regalia and announcements at the Florham Campus, and Metropolitan Campus students must pick up their academic regalia and announcements at the Metropolitan Campus. No exceptions can be made.
All Partnership Program Students must go to the Metropolitan Campus Graduation Salute Program or make arrangements through the Metropolitan Campus Bookstore.
Where do I obtain my academic awards, if I earn Academic Honors?
Students who qualify for Latin Academic Honors may pick up their medal at Graduation Salute. For students who do not attend Graduation Salute, medals will be available in the Office of Enrollment Services starting April 4, 2019. Latin Honors are for undergraduate students only.
Florham Campus Students Only 973-443-8600
Metropolitan Campus Students Only 201-692-2214
How should I dress for the ceremony?
It is recommended that the candidates for graduation wear business-casual attire. It is also recommended that they wear comfortable shoes but not sneakers and not stiletto heels. Personal belongings should not be brought to the line-up area. Candidates for graduation will not be permitted to carry handbags, umbrellas, cameras, balloons or any other objects.
What if it rains?
The average weather for May 21 in East Rutherford is perfect: an early morning low of 53°F. and a high for the day of 69°F. FDU Commencement will be held at MetLife Stadium rain or shine. If there is rain during the processional and/or ceremony, waterproof rain capes will be provided for the graduates and others seated in the open. Portions of stadium seating for guests are under cover and families and other guests may bring and use umbrellas during the ceremony.
Will there be a Commencement Rehearsal?
There will be no commencement rehearsal, Designated marshals will guide the candidates for graduation through the processional into their proper seating areas during Commencement.
How do I get to MetLife Stadium?
See Driving Directions page.
Where can guests stay overnight near the campus?
For further questions or concerns, please contact your respective Dean of Students Office.
- Florham Campus 973-443-8935
- Metropolitan Campus 201-692-2190