Fairleigh Dickinson University's Pre-University Program (FDU PUP) is a one-semester pathway program for international undergraduates who have intermediate English language skills, are academically admissible to FDU, and want to earn their Bachelor's degree in four years.
The PUP is designed to help students overcome the obstacles they face in the beginning of their studies by providing an innovative curriculum that integrates specialized English language preparation with learning strategies and critical thinking skills while offering academic credit towards their degree in the pathway semester.
The PUP is only offered only at our Metropolitan Campus.
PUP Goals and Advantages
- Receive highly-specialized English language courses
- Earn up to 11 credits towards a Bachelor's degree
- Tackle the most common causes of English language difficulty (university-level reading and writing, effective classroom participation)
- Acquire learning strategies for higher success
- Learn new skills and knowledge in small class sizes
- Attain background knowledge and technical terminology specific to your degree program
- Access FDU's general language tutoring and support centers
- Start in spring or fall semesters
- Qualify for significant merit-based scholarships
Applying to PUP
Students who meet the PUP minimum English proficiency requirement should apply directly to FDU.
To meet the English proficiency required for PUP, students must submit one of the following minimum scores of English as well as other required credentials
- TOEFL iBT score from 50 to 69
- IELTS overall band score of 5.0 to 5.5
- ELS Language Center Certificate of Completion - Level 110, English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program
- For a complete list, please see English Proficiency Requirements
Admission requirements are the same as Undergraduates, apart from the English proficiency requirement.
Students admitted to FDU's PUP receive an FDU I-20 for the pathway period.
Students who have not taken a test of English or who have scored below the PUP minimum requirement may apply for Conditional Admission to FDU and submit an application to the ELS Language Center on our Metropolitan Campus for intensive English language study. Upon completion of Level 110 of ELS's English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program, students may transfer to the PUP.
PUP courses and credit hours:
- EPS 1008 Academic Writing Skills, 6 hours, for no credit
- EPS 1018 Academic Communication Skills, 3 hours, for no credit
- EPS 1109 English for Occupational Purposes, 3 hours, for 3 credits
- EPS 1119 English for Academic Purposes, 1.5 hours, for no credit
- Two courses recommended by student's advisor based on student's major and/or mathematics placement test results.
- EITHER two courses at 2.5 hours each, for a total of 6 credits
- OR one course at 4 to 6 hours and one course for 2.5 hours, for a total of 7 credits
- UNIV 1001 Transitioning to University Life, 1.25 hours, for 1 credit
Requirements for successful completion of the PUP and successful matriculation to the undergraduate degree program:
- Successful completion of the required EPS courses. Students failing to successfully complete the required EPS courses may repeat the PUP semester.
- Achievement of a 2.0 minimum grade point average (GPA) during the Pre-University semester. Students who fail to meet the required GPA requirement may repeat the PUP for one additional semester. Students failing to meet the GPA requirement twice will not be permitted to continue.