Discover Business Teen Academy, Florham Campus
- "... informative and interesting while still being fun."
- "... brought in experts that were extremely helpful to hear from."
- "This was a good way to learn with (and from) other young and aspiring entrepreneurs."
- "Very well planned!"
Discover Business this summer at FDU in Madison, NJ
- Students entering high school grades 9 through 12 in the fall of 2018 may apply. This usually includes students ages 14 to 18.
- July 9 to 13, 2018
- Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM and to 4 PM on Friday
- FDU's Florham Campus, Madison, NJ
- $699 includes registration fee, deposit, and tuition.
- Breakfast and lunch are provided daily.
- Registration (PDF) opens in February.
- Registration deadline is July 1.
- Call us at 973-443-8842 or 8577.
- Email us at email@example.com.
Is your teenager ready for college?
Does he or she have basic business skills?
Then enroll him or her in FDU's innovative Discover Business Teen Academy at the Florham Campus, located in Madison, NJ. The Rothman Institute of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the University's distinguished entrepreneurship center, is offering a summer session.
The skills learned at this academy can be applied to all areas of life — in school, business, and the world. Students will gain knowledge in the following areas:
Team work and leadership
- Being a team player in a global business environment
- Group dynamics: how to work in a team and resolve conflicts
- Group projects: collaboration and new technology methods
- Effective management and leadership skills
Communications and foreign language
- How to speak and write in professional environments. Choose between Japanese and Mandarin and learn how businesses function in other countries.
- Making a positive first impression, the value of business etiquette
- Building relationships of trust within and outside of business
- Benefits of networking online and in person
- Personal finance: saving, budgeting, and investing
- Cash management tools
Marketing and market research
- Using library resources and the internet to find business information
- Selecting target market and designing a market strategy
- Tactics to deliver an effective advertising campaign
- Learn from the real life experiences of entrepreneurs
- Explore entrepreneurship and business planning
- Visit innovative companies near FDU
- At the end of the week, students present a team business plan
Frequently asked questions
What is the faculty/counselor to student ratio? 1 to 10.
Will a certificate of completion be given? Yes.
Is there a scholarship program for students? Yes. Interested applicants should submit their medical / registration form first, and make note on their form that they are interested in a scholarship. Scholarships are partial, meaning there would be a discount, and are on a case by case basis. Please inquire on the status of this after submitting registration.
Is this a sleep-away academy? No, the academy is from 9 AM to 5 PM Monday through Thursday, ending at 4 PM on Friday.
Is transportation provided? No. Parents/guardians are responsible to make sure their child is provided with transportation to and from the academy at the times given. FDU is not responsible for early arrivals or late departures.
What is the dress code? Khaki shorts, a polo shirt, and sneakers are suggested. There will be some outdoor recreational activities during breaks, and sneakers (or supportive footwear) are encouraged. Flip flops and open-toed sandals are discouraged for safety purposes.
What should I bring? Students are encouraged to bring a notebook, pen, water bottle, sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses. You may bring your own snacks. While the majority of time will be spent indoors in air conditioned rooms, during breaks there will be time spent outdoors. Some of the outdoor activities during the breaks include Frisbee and kickball, therefore it is advised students wear sneakers. If students happen to have their own business cards, they are welcome to bring these for the networking portions of the course.
Registration and tuition
To register, please download and complete the combined registration / medical form (PDF).
Make checks payable to: FDU-Rothman Institute. Credit cards are not accepted at this time.
A $150 nonrefundable deposit plus a one-time $25 registration fee are required at the time of registration to hold a space for each camper.
There are two ways to pay:
- $175 at registration time; $524 due by June 29, 2018.
- $699 to pay in full, by June 29, 2018
Mail the form with your check to:
Fairleigh Dickinson University
Rothman Institute of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Teen Academy
285 Madison Ave, M-MS1-05
Madison, NJ 07940
Hand-delivery of forms is not accepted.
For more information please call 973-443-8842 or 8577.
Prior to July 1, 100% of academy costs will be refunded, less deposit and registration fee. No refunds will be given after July 1, 2018.