Production Concentration, BA Film and Animation
The Production Concentration in film, TV and original content) gives students a full overview of all the aspects of creating a moving image story as a movie, video, internet content, or TV episode. Students begin shooting with HD cameras their first year while taking both film history and film appreciation courses. The course of study continues with screenwriting, advance production, and post-production courses but then allows students to further expore their particular interests with a wide range of major electives. Interships and independent studies are also available.
The FDUfilm program has become widely recognized and respected within the industry and we have one of the highest precentages of alumni finding professional work very quickly after graduation.
Film Student Senior Thesis
"I had a very enjoyable and productive time at FDU as a film major, which provided a solid foundation for my current career. Its close proximity to the production hub of NYC allowed me to take on multiple internships and side jobs while in college, and ultimately started my path to become an Executive Producer at an advertising agency, where I now work with major corporations, directors, and musicians/bands on a daily basis — including producing a music video for U2 that ended up on the SuperBowl. FDU provided me with a solid filmmaking background that enabled me to explore what aspect of filmmaking I wanted to pursue. I left the university with a solid reel and education that has allowed me to succeed in the film industry." — Brian Gonsar '04, VP/Executive Producer at Hill Holliday
Core Major Requirements
- FILM 3350 Twentieth Century Cinema
- FILM 1501 Cinematic Storytelling
- FILM 1005 Filmmaking I: Basic Production
- FILM 2208 Filmmaking II: The Professional Crew
- FILM 2250 Screenwriting I
- FILM 3210 Postproduction I
- FILM 3209 Filmmaking III: Mastering the Art and Craft of Film Production
- FILM 4311 Producing and Directing the Thesis Film
- FILM 4312 Producing and Directing the Thesis Film II
Additional Major Electives, 15-25 credits
Cognate Courses (10-16 credits)
- THEA 3351 Production and Performance (1 credit)
- THEA 4457 Contemporary Film Studies (3 credits)
- CGD 1313 Creative Imagery with Photoshop (3 credits)
- Any COMM Course (3 credits)
- Any ART Course (3 credits)
- Any THEA Course (3 credits)
Full listing of the current courses and sections
Alphabetical listing of all the courses on this page.
Join the FDUfilm Community!
School of the Arts
Fairleigh Dickinson University
285 Madison Ave, M-DB0-01
Madison, NJ 07940
Dreyfuss Building, Main Floor