The Academic Writing Centre (Vancouver Campus)
The Academic Writing Centre has been established to help graduate and undergraduate students to become stronger academic writers. We provide free assistance to help you revise your papers, presentations, projects, reports, resumes, emails and other academic writing tasks.
Our main goal is to help you to learn how to become more effective and more confident in your writing tasks. Regardless of your current writing skills, we believe you can always benefit from sharing your work with knowledgeable and skilled critical readers.
In a 30-minute one-on-one meeting, we can help you to
- Understand the professor’s expectations for a writing assignment
- Generate ideas
- Find and organize your research
- Develop logical arguments
- Develop strategies for self- and peer-revising
- Identify recurring errors and locate resources to help you correct them
- Use proper citation for your research resources.
The writing tutor will discuss with you how your writing could be revised and improved. However, the writing tutor’s role is not to proofread or edit your work. Instead, the tutor will help you to revise your writing by discussing the assignment with you, modeling writing strategies that you can apply, identifying patterns of grammatical errors in your writing, and providing resources to learn the grammatical function.