Applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit the results of a test of English proficiency to the Office of International Admissions.
The following countries are exempted from submitting a test of English proficiency:
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Canada (except Quebec)
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- St Kitts & Nevis
- St Lucia
- St Vincent & The Grenadines
- Solomon Islands
- Trinidad & Tobago
- United Kingdom
Applicants who have previously attended a high school, college or university in the United States, Canada or other English Speaking country for more than two years and have earned passing grades in English courses may be exempt from an English proficiency exam.
Accepted Tests of English Proficiency
Internet-based: 79 or higher
Computer-based: 213 or higher
Paper-based: 550 or higher
FDU Vancouver Campus testing code: 7627
Overall band score of 6.0 or higher
PTE Academic English Exam: 53 or higher
SAT (https://www.collegeboard.org/?student )
(for first year undergraduate freshman students only)
420 or higher on the Critical Reading (old testing system)
480 or higher on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing
FDU Vancouver Campus testing code: 5823
Cambridge Advanced English with score = C
Cambridge English First with score = B
Michigan English Language Assessment Battery = 77
Canadian Academic English Language Assessment = 65
Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees = 4.0
Fairleigh Dickinson University offers an exciting opportunity for international students with intermediate English language skills who meet the University’s academic admission standards but require additional training in academic English (speaking, listening and/or writing skills).
Our Pre-University Program provides students with highly specialized English language and support courses in the first semester while they study and earn academic credit toward their bachelor’s degree.
To be considered for admission to the PUP, students must meet the University’s academic requirements and demonstrate an intermediate level of English proficiency by submitting one of the following:
1. TOEFL iBT score from 68 to 78
2. IELTS overall band score of 5.5
Conditional Admission and Vancouver Campus Partner Language Schools
Students who are academically prepared to pursue a university program but are unable to meet the minimum English proficiency requirement may apply to the intensive English language program offered by our Partner Language Schools in Vancouver.
The language and entrance examination (if required) must be fulfilled in order for a student to matriculate to the University.
- VGC - VGC International College www.vgc.ca (level 7)
- ELS www.elscanada.com (level 110)
- Global Village http://gvenglish.com/ (Level 8)
- ILSC www.ilsc.com (Level i4)
- Kaplan International - www.kaplaninternational.ca/ (level B2)
- Vanwest College www.vanwest.com (level 7)
- ILAC - International Language Academy of Canada www.ilac.com (level 14)
- Inlingua Vancouver www.inlinguavancouver.com (level 4A)
- ISS of BC http://lcc.issbc.org/ (Intensive English 7)
- EC - English Language Centres http://www.ecenglish.com/school-locations/learn-english-in-vancouver (Upper-Intermediate)