V. Travel Advance Procedures

Effective February 1, 2011
Finance Department

Table of Contents

I. Purpose
II. Responsibility
III. Approval Process
IV. Travel and Business Expense Policies
A. Air travel 
B. Other forms of travel
C. Car rental 
D. Car rental collision damage waiver and personal accident insurance
E. Use of personal car
F. University owned or leased automobiles
G. Mass transportation
H. Meals and business expenses
I. Lodging
J. Conferences and professional meetings
K. Miscellaneous expenses
L. Expenses not reimbursable by the University
V. Travel Advance Procedures
VI. Expense Report Procedures
VII. Attachments
A. Request For Travel Advance (see link below)
B. Faculty and Staff Expense Report


Travel advances will be issued, as needed, to University faculty and staff travelling on University business, if the expected cash expenditures of the trip exceed $200. Cash expenditures are defined as expenses which cannot be charged on a credit card. The advance must be accounted for on the Expense Report.

A travel advance will not be issued for lodging, service payments such as honoraria, conference fees, or other substantial costs that can be prepaid, prearranged or invoiced.


The purpose of the Request for Travel Advance is to provide a means for travelers to seek funds in advance of a trip. The form will serve as the Finance Department’s documentation supporting the request and approval for the disbursement. In addition, the form will be maintained as an open accounts receivable until the travel advance is cleared with a properly approved Expense Report.

Completing the Request for Travel Advance:

Authorization of a travel advance should be documented on the Request for Travel Advance and submitted to the Finance Department (mail code T-FH2-01). The request should be submitted at least 7, but not more than 21, days prior to the departure date.

This form (Request for Travel Advance) is available for download as a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet file. You may either save the file to your hard drive for reuse, or open it, fill it out, and print the resulting spreadsheet.

Travelers may request an advance of up to $500. Requests in excess of $500 must have the approval of a Vice President or Provost.

To provide the supervisor and the Finance Department with adequate information regarding the purpose of the travel advance, the traveler should complete the information requested on the Request for Travel Advance. The detail of expected cash expenditures must be sufficient to support the need for a travel advance.


All Request for Travel Advance forms require the traveler’s original signature (indicating his/her review of the document) and the original signature of the supervisor and budget officer, indicating their approval of the advance. No Request for Travel Advance forms will be accepted without these signatures.

Responsibility of Traveler After Trip:

After travel is complete, an approved Expense Report  (Attachment B), should be submitted to the Finance Department. If the advance exceeded the actual expenses, a check for the excess, made payable to Fairleigh Dickinson University, should accompany the Expense Report.  If expenses were greater than the advance, the University will reimburse the traveler the net amount due.

A travel advance will be held as a receivable from the traveler until a supporting Expense Report is processed by the Finance Department. A travel advance must be settled promptly (generally within 15 working days after completion of the trip), and before other advances or reimbursements are requested. Admissions recruiters travelling for an extended period of time have 15 working days from the end of their travelling cycle to settle their advances.

Failure to Account for an Advance on a Timely Basis:

An employee may have only one travel advance outstanding at any given time. Failure to account for a travel advance within 60 days will result in:

  1. The suspension of travel advance privileges.
  2. A payroll deduction.

Processing Request for Travel Advance:

Properly completed and approved Requests for Travel Advance forms should be forwarded to the Finance Department, mail stop T-FH2-01, at least 7, but not more than 21, days prior to travel. Exceptions to the previously mentioned 7 and 21 day limits apply to those expenses identified in section IV, part A, bullet 5 and similar situations. Forms submitted without appropriate signatures and/or appropriate documentation (as defined in the Travel and Business Expense Policies and Procedures ) will be returned to the originator.