Various improvement projects were done over the summer, reports Richard Frick, vice president for facilities and auxiliary services (Metro/Flor). These projects were completed by facilities with significant assistance and support from other areas. These include:
• Athletics — replaced soccer field scoreboard (digital) and Rothman Center cooling tower;
• Becton Hall — replaced Theater Roof, including partial green roof;
• Residence Halls — replaced Linden domestic hot water heater, storage and control system; in University Courts (UC) upgraded attic sprinkler piping, renovated six bathrooms in UC 6 and 9, repaired laundry room in UC 6; repaired concrete steps by UC 1 and UC 3; painted, performed carpentry repairs and replaced flooring as required in all residence halls;
• Dickinson Hall — replaced domestic hot-water system and installed ATM;
• Student Union Building — replaced boiler flue, domestic hot water heater, storage and control system; upgraded and repaired loading dock structure;
• Williams Hall — replaced the pond fence along River Road;
• Field House — replaced and refurbished second-floor HVAC system;
• Alumni Hall — painted and renamed Jeepers to Riverside Café;
• Campus-wide — repaired potholes, rebuilt numerous storm-water catch basins, installed programmable thermostats for DX (direct expansion) HVAC units; painted, performed carpentry repairs and replaced flooring as required in all classrooms.
The newly renamed Riverside Café was officially opened with a ribbon cutting. From left are Robert Valenti, associate vice president for auxiliary services (Metro/Flor); Robert Vodde, criminal justice and campus executive (Metro); Joshua Ormond, director of food service, Gourmet Dining Services Inc. (Metro); Craig Mourton, deputy campus executive (Metro); and Matthew Percelli, food service manager, Gourmet Dining Services Inc. (Metro).
• Dreyfuss Building — replaced entrance including doors, walk and retaining wall;
• Ferguson Recreation Center — replaced arena door and domestic hot water boilers, resurfacing pool (in progress);
• Rothman Building — replaced entrance;
• Gate House (Lodge) — installed new flooring and painted the first floor;
• Residence Halls — touched up or completely painted all rooms and hallways; replaced floor tiles in the first floors of Village 7 and 8 and in nine rooms of Hamilton Twombly Hall, installed new heating system for the Twombly I-Wing;
• Student Center — Replaced two HVAC units; painted and installed new flooring, lighting and furniture for the dining halls (dean of students and auxiliary services);
• Hennessy Hall — Made critical temporary repairs to both upper and lower fountains in the mansion gardens; initiated work on what will be the Gov. Brendan Byrne Room (M-11); commenced historic preservation architectural evaluation of the building exterior and surrounding improvements (in progress)
Stairs — repaired concrete from the commuter parking lot and from the Student Center to the freshman residence hall;
• Campus-wide — rebuilt 26 storm drains, repaired pot holes and repaved walkways; removed failing trees, planted many trees, including several near Dreyfuss Building; touched up or completely painted all hallways and classrooms; redid roadway line striping; added 12 more Adirondack chairs and five new park benches.
Left photo: One of the new park benches.
Right photo: Dreyfuss Building with its new doors, walk and retaining wall.
In This Issue
- Capuano Inaugurated as Eighth President
- Academic Convocation 2017 Celebrates 75 Years
- Ranked Among Top Universities
- Stewart Joins Board of Trustees
- Facilities Update
- President Clinton Leads Illustrious New Jersey Speakers Series
- International Happenings
- Innovative LD Virtual Tutoring Program Offers Face-to-Face Support to Students Everywhere
- Faculty Status Report 2017–2018
- FDU Press Marks 50th Year with New Office, New Books
- College Happenings
- Spotlight — Carlson, Diaz, Harmon, Yu
- This & That
- Photo Stories: Candle-lighting Ceremonies Mark New School Year, Doerfler Center Dedicated
Flor = Florham Campus,
Metro = Metropolitan Campus,
Van = Vancouver Campus,
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wrox = Wroxton College,
The deadline for the November/December 2017 issue of Inside FDU on the Web is November 8.
Copy received after deadline will be included in the following issue. Every effort will be made to deal with late-breaking stories. Send information to: Carol Black, Publications, at H-DH3-14, fax to 201-692-7039 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inside FDU on the Web is published by the Office of Communications. Newsletter Staff: Carol Black, editor; Michele Barto, Mary Ann Bautista, Bill Blanchard, Sara Campione, Kenna Caprio, Angelo Carfagna, Scott Giglio, William Kennedy, Shelley Kusnetz, Dan Landau, Rebecca Maxon, Andrew McKay, Michael Paras, Gary Radford, Marie Roberts, Dina Schipper, William Toms, Hector Torres.