Week of Gratitude
The University held its second annual Week of Gratitude from March 28 to April 1 on the Florham and Metropolitan campuses. Hosted by the offices of University advancement and alumni relations, the Week of Gratitude provided an opportunity for students to learn about the impact of private giving at the University and to thank donors.
Activities included a selfie challenge, which encouraged students to take photos of themselves in front of signs placed around both campuses that highlighted private gifts. Photos uploaded to Instagram qualified students for a drawing to win $500.
As part of the Week of Gratitude, dessert receptions were held on both campuses to thank the University’s employee donors.
Joseph Kiernan, campus provost (Metro) and senior vice provost for institutional effectiveness, hosted the April 1 Metropolitan Campus reception at Jeepers, Alumni Hall. Richard Reiss, senior vice president for University advancement (Metro/Flor), and Karen Lewis, assistant vice president for development and alumni relations (Metro), joined Kiernan in thanking employees for their support.
Peter Woolley, campus provost (Flor) and senior vice provost for government and community affairs, hosted the March 31 event at Lenfell Hall, Hennessy Hall, on the Florham Campus.
“The Week of Gratitude is part of our new initiatives on campus, that help create a culture of philanthropy at FDU,” said Lewis. “The purpose of the Week of Gratitude is to educate students about the impact private giving makes on their educational experiences and, at the same time, emphasize the importance of thanking donors for their generosity. This year, 1,600 postcards with personal messages from students were mailed to FDU alumni and friends thanking them for their support!”
• John and Joan Monninger Center for Learning and Research (John Monninger, BA’65 [Flor], and his wife, Joan)
• Roberta Chiaviello Ferguson and Thomas G. Ferguson Recreation Center (Roberta Chiaviello Ferguson, AA’64 [Ruth], and Thomas G. Ferguson, BS’65 [Ruth])
At the Week of Gratitude event at the Florham Campus were, from left, Peter Woolley, campus provost and senior vice provost for government and community affairs; Richard Reiss, senior vice president for University Advancement (Metro/Flor); Christine Gaydos, assistant dean of students for judicial affairs, dean of students; Tarrin Morgan, assistant director of student life; Mary Marks, coordinator of clinical affairs and experiential education, pharmacy; and Karen Lewis, assistant vice president for development and alumni relations, University advancement (Metro).
• The Grill Eatery, second floor, Student Center (Refresh of space and furniture made possible by the Class of 2010)
• Lenfell Hall, Hennessy Hall (Renovation of former Twombly Drawing Room made possible by fundraising efforts led by Friends of Florham)
• The Sterile Compounding Lab, School of Pharmacy (Becton, Dickinson and Company [BD])
• Ferguson Recreation Center Plaza (Donors to The Fund for FDU)
• Devils Sign, by side entrance of Monninger Center, Student Center (Class of 2004)
• Theater Program (Peter Jay Sharp Foundation)
Left photo: At the thank-you event at the Florham Campus were, from left, Rebecca Gervasio, circulation assistant, Monninger Center; Nicole Potdevin, research and instruction librarian, Monninger Center; Eleanor Friedl, research and instruction librarian, Monninger Center; Martha Garcia, secretary, literature/language/writing/philosophy; and M. Kathryn Douglas, composition and director of college writing.
Right photo: William Doran, left, multimedia specialist, University systems and security (Metro), with his wife, Kathleen Rasmussen-Doran, learning disability specialist, Regional Center for Learning Disabilities (Flor).
• Daniel and Martina Lewis Center for Healthcare Innovation and Technology (Daniel Lewis, MBA’76 [Flor] and University trustee, and his wife, Martina Lewis)
• Novo Nordisk Summer Undergraduate Research Program Sign, front of Science Building (Novo Nordisk)
• Stratis Arena, Rothman Center (Mary Kay Mastronardy Stratis, BA’69 [Ruth], MAT’71 [Metro] and University trustee)
• Business Research Library Suite, Dickinson Hall (Jean and Michael Tomkovitch, BS’71 [Ruth])
• Muscarelle Center for Building Construction Studies, (Muscarelle family)
• Nursing Labs, Dickinson Hall (Hearst Foundations)
• Swings, behind Giovatto Library (Class of 2007)
• Library Periodicals and Databases (Donors to The Fund for FDU)
• Chess Tables, in front of Giovatto Library (Class of 2015)
• COMPASS Program Sign, Williams Hall (Michele Logan, MBA’96 [Flor] and Daniel Logan)
• Naimoli Family Baseball Complex (Family of Vincent J. Naimoli, MBA’64 [Flor] and University trustee)
• The Peter Sammartino Portrait in the Rutherford Room, Student Union Building (Restoration made possible by Fairleigh Dickinson University Alumni Association Board of Governors)
Celebrating the Week of Gratitude at the Metropolitan Campus were, from left, Barbara Schutt, budget and finance specialist, Silberman College; Sheldon Drucker, president; Kathleen Azzaro, psychological counselor/substance-abuse educator, student counseling/psychological services and PAS Metropolitan Campus speaker; Joseph Kiernan, campus provost and senior vice provost for institutional effectiveness; and Erich von Salzen, operations specialist, management information systems.
In This Issue
- 73rd Commencement to Be Held on May 17
- Robert Vodde Named Metropolitan Campus Provost
- Alumna Brenda Blackmon Rejoins Trustees
- ISE and CHRMS Celebrate Anniversaries
- FDU Renews Ties with Mexican University
- Speakers Series Announces 2016-2017 Season
- Week of Gratitude
- New Global Business Internship Underway
- Scholarship Dinner Honors Donors
- Emil Solimine to Be Honored at Charter Day, PINNACLE Society to Induct Five
- University Honors Program Research Days Held
- Holiday and Time-off Schedule
- Faculty, Staff
- College Happenings
- Spotlight — Byrne, Cuffee, Kim, Pakay
- This & That
- Photo Stories — Metropolitan Campus Provost Kiernan Celebrated, Basketball Teams Win Big, Knights Women’s Teams Triumph, Inaugural Gov. Brendan T. Byrne Lecture, Fun Ways to Beat Stress, Literary Celebrations, Think Summer!, New Heritage Hall Inductees
Flor = Florham Campus,
Metro = Metropolitan Campus,
Van = Vancouver Campus,
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wrox = Wroxton College,
The deadline for the September/October 2016 issue of Inside FDU on the Web is August 30.
Copy received after deadline will be included in the following issue. Every effort will be made to deal with late-breaking stories. Send information to: Carol Black, Publications, at H-DH3-14, fax to 201-692-7039 or email to email@example.com.
Inside FDU on the Web is published by the Office of Communications. Newsletter Staff: Carol Black, editor; Mary Ann Bautista, Bill Blanchard, Kenna Caprio, Angelo Carfagna, Sara Chamberlain, Scott Giglio, Kaidi Ilves, William Kennedy, Dan Landau, Larry Levanti, Rebecca Maxon, Andrew McKay, Michael Paras, Jessie Ribustello, Dina Schipper, Duff Sheffield, Hector Torres.