The Higher Education Act requires that all institutions that provide on campus student housing must establish a missing student notification policy and procedures.
Fairleigh Dickinson University Metropolitan Campus takes student safety very seriously. The following policy and procedure has been established to assist in locating Fairleigh Dickinson University Metropolitan campus students who live in Fairleigh Dickinson University on campus housing, who, based on the facts and circumstances known to Fairleigh Dickinson University Metropolitan campus have been determined to be missing.
Dean of Students Information to Resident Students
At the beginning of each academic year, Fairleigh Dickinson University Metropolitan Campus Dean of Students will inform all students residing in on campus housing that the Dean of Students will notify either a parent or an individual selected by the student not later than 24 hours after the time that the student is deemed to be missing. The information provided to the resident students will include the following:
· Resident students have the option of identifying an individual to be contacted by the Dean of Students not later than 24 hours after the time that the student has been determined to be missing. Students can register this confidential contact information through the Dean of Students Office.
· If the resident student is under 18 years of age, and not an emancipated individual, the Dean of Students is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian not later than 24 hours after the time that the student is determined to be missing.
· The Department of Public Safety will notify the appropriate local law enforcement agency not later than 24 hours after the time that the student is determined to be missing.
· If the Department of Public Safety and/or the local law enforcement agency has been notified and makes a determination that a student who is the subject of a missing person report has been missing for more than 24 hours and has not returned to campus, the Dean of Students will initiate the emergency contact procedure in accordance with the student’s designation.
Department of Public Safety
The Department of Public Safety upon notification of a missing student will conduct a thorough investigation and obtain all necessary information. The person’s description, clothes, who they may be with or where they may be, vehicle description and the physical and mental well being of the individual will be obtained.
The Department of Public Safety will conduct a quick, but thorough search of the campus buildings and parking lots using the student’s class schedule.
The Department of Public Safety will also check access card logs to determine the last time the ID card was used as well as any surveillance video.
The Department of Public Safety may also request assistance from Resident Assistants or others to assist in a search on campus. The Department of Public Safety may issue an ID card photograph to assist in the identification of the missing student.
After a search has been conducted with negative results, the Department of Safety will notify the local law enforcement agency.
Fairleigh Dickinson University Metropolitan Campus will follow the following notification procedure for a missing student who resides in on campus housing:
· Any reports of missing students are to be referred immediately to the Department of Public Safety and after investigating the report it is determined that the student has been missing for more than 24 hours, the Dean of Students will contact the individual identified by the student or the custodial parent or legal guardian if the student is under the age of 18 and not emancipated.
· The Dean of Students and/or Public Safety will notify the Campus Provost of any missing student.
In all cases of a missing student, local law enforcement agency will provide information to the media that is designed to obtain public assistance in the search for any missing student. The local law enforcement agency will consult with Fairleigh Dickinson University Public Relations. Any media requests to the university will be directed to Public Relations.