What is a "Heightened Security State of Alert?"
"A mindset that leads you to notice unusual or suspicious behavior / circumstances and reporting your observations to authorities in a logical, rational and timely manner."
It is not intended to induce fear and panic. It is designed to have people go about their normal business while particularly attentive to their surroundings.
Be sure that normal procedures are carefully followed.
Be aware of and report:
- People in buildings or areas who do not appear to be conducting legitimate business (loitering).
- Persons monitoring areas, buildings or entrances.
- Unauthorized personnel in restricted, sensitive or private areas.
- Persons requesting information who have no need for it.
- Persons wearing clothing inconsistent with the weather conditions at mass populations events (bulky coat in warm weather, etc.).
- Persons abandoning parcels or other items in unusual locations, high traffic areas (pedestrian/vehicle).
- Persons attempting access to utility locations (water, electrical, petroleum, telecommunications, information systems).
Vehicles to Be Alert to:
- Abandoned vehicles.
- Vehicles parked near buildings or common areas.
- Unexpected or unfamiliar delivery trucks.
- Unfamiliar vehicles parked for long periods.
- Persons in vehicles "casing" buildings or areas.
- Vehicles arriving or being left behind at odd hours.
- Substances leaking or spilling from vehicles.
- Do not prop open or compromise building/residence hall entrance doors/windows.
- Account for and secure keys. Do not leave them unattended or give them to unauthorized persons. Report missing keys to supervisor immediately.
- Secure all areas.
- Be aware and report unfamiliar persons in your building/office.
- Be prepared. Take time to familiarize yourself with evacuation plans/routes.
- Report any suspicious person or activity.