Preventing Laptop Computer Theft
Laptop computers are easy targets for thieves. Laptop computers are small, valuable, can be removed quickly and are easily hidden. Because of the cost of the laptop, they can be sold quickly for up to half its value in cash.
Here are a few tips to help reduce the risk of having your laptop stolen.
- Don't leave your laptop out in the open and unattended.
- Remember that extreme temperatures can cause damage to your laptop.
- Transport your laptop in a nondescript case.
- Write down the serial number and keep it in a safe place.
- Always back up your information on disks and store them in a safe place.
- Always lock your doors and windows.
- Never leave items unattended.
- Participate in "Operation Identification" by having your items marked.
- Report suspicious persons, vehicles or circumstances immediately to Public Safety.
If you do experience a theft of your laptop or any other item, please contact Public Safety as soon as possible and make sure a police report is also filed.