New Student Orientation: Metropolitan Campus
Welcome and Congratulations on your acceptance to Fairleigh Dickinson University! We are thrilled that you will be joining our Knight Family! We look forward to welcoming you and your guests to the Metropolitan Campus for New Student Orientation this summer.
New Student Orientation is your chance to learn about the programs and services FDU has to offer, ask questions, meet with an advisor, sign-up for classes, get to know classmates, meet FDU faculty and staff, and begin your adventure as a new student.
Saturday, August 25, 2018
All students are invited to the Illumination Ceremony, an ongoing FDU tradition to welcome our new students to the academic school year.
Please join us for a BBQ at 4 PM behind the Student Union Building (SUB).
The procession will begin at 5:30 PM in front of the SUB. The ceremony will immediately follow at Wilson Auditorium. Light refreshments will be served following the ceremony.
New Student Orientation 2018 - Summer Session Dates
- Session 1: Tuesday, June 26 to Wednesday, June 27
- Session 2: Tuesday, July 10 to Wednesday, July 11
- Session 3: Tuesday, July 24 to Wednesday, July 25
What You Can Expect at New Student Orientation
New Student Orientation is designed around you to help facilitate your successful transition to Fairleigh Dickinson University. There are many benefits to attending New Student Orientation during the summer:
- Receive an introduction to the academic experience of Fairleigh Dickinson University.
- Meet with an advisor to review your course schedule.
- Meet other new students and form new friendships with classmates.
- Learn about the mission, values, and traditions of Fairleigh Dickinson University.
- Receive information on the programs and services offered through campus offices and departments.
- Meet faculty and staff from different areas across the University.
- Connect with current student leaders and learn about ways to get involved on campus.
- Learn about safety and security on campus.
- Explore campus life by staying in the residence halls and eating on campus.
- Take a campus tour to learn important buildings and locations on campus.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When and how will I be able to sign up for a New Student Orientation summer session?
Online registration, for New Student Orientation during the summer, will open on March 1.
Do all new students have to attend orientation?
Yes, all new students are required to attend only one of the three (3) New Student Orientation sessions offered during the summer months. At orientation, you will learn about the University, ask questions, meet with an academic advisor, sign-up for classes, and get to know people. You have the chance to speak with representatives from various offices (such as Housing and Residence Life, Student Life, Student Health Services . . .) and handle logistical details like familiarizing yourself with the campus and taking your FDU Student ID Card photo.
How do I know which session to register for and attend?
You should plan to attend the New Student Orientation session that is convenient for you. Be sure to sign-up soon as sessions fill-up quickly.
How do I modify or change my session selection after I've already confirmed one?
Please contact the Dean of Students Office at (201) 692-2190 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where will I stay during Summer Orientation?
During our New Student Orientation sessions, all students will stay on-campus in one of our University residence halls. Staying overnight in the residence halls, during New Student Orientation, is an experience that supports a student's transition to FDU in the fall. All rooms are air-conditioned and double occupancy. The residence halls will be staffed with Orientation Leaders as well as an on-call professional staff member. Students must remain on campus for the entire two day New Student Orientation Session. Guests are not permitted.
What if I require special accommodations for a medical, physical, or disability-related need?
Please contact Craig Mourton in the Office of the Campus Executive at email@example.com or (201) 692-2477 to discuss your needs.
What should I bring?
- Casual, comfortable clothing and walking shoes (no heels or flip flops).
- Unexpired government-issued photo ID
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc.)
- Water Bottle
- Sheets (twin extra-long) or sleeping bag
- Towels & Washcloth
- Light sweater/jacket
- Shower shoes
What items are not allowed?
Televisions, computers, DVD players, video games and pets are not allowed.
Note: Mobile phones must be turned off during all Orientation sessions.
If you are going to be a resident student in the fall, you must receive all New Jersey state mandated immunizations prior to your residence hall move-in day! Students will not be permitted to register for classes, or to reside in on-campus housing at FDU, until the health forms and immunization records are completed and received.
Please visit Student Health Services online for further information regarding immunizations.
Phone: (201) 692-2421 or (201) 692-2199