Environmental Science Research Guide
Environmental science is a multidisciplinary field, which interweaves with many academic studies, such as geology, ecology, business, biology, zoology, physics, chemistry, biochemistry, social psychology, political science, criminal justice, and much more. Have you ever studied in this area, the first thing you need is to find something that is interesting to you – a good topic.
A few good places for you to search for topics:
World Book, book, call number: Ref AE5 .W55 2013
Encyclopedia of Environmental Science, book, call number: Ref GE10 .M66 2000
Environmental and energy law, e-book, call number: K3981 .E58 2012eb, check FDU online catalog
Environmental policy and public health air pollution, global climate change, and wilderness, e-book, call number: RA566 .R66 2012eb, check FDU online catalog
Governing the air the dynamics of science, policy, and citizen interaction, e-book, call number: TD883.7.E85 G68 2011eb, check FDU online catalog
Hint: Books with similar topics are placed in the same area on shelves. Use call numbers to track them down.
CQ Researcher, database. Click on Browse Reports and select By topics. Under the topics like Environment and Natural Resources or Environment, Climate and Natural Resources, or Energy, you will find many interesting topics that worth your study.
Credo Reference, database. Click on Find Topic Pages, then select A-Z.
In the database, ScienceDirect College Edition, it presents 25 hottest articles under many subjects including the environmental science.
Hint: Still need help with your topics? You can always consult with a librarian.
Due to the multidisciplinary nature of environmental science, you can research many topics using our comprehensive, multi-subject databases, such as
The United States government plays a major role in many environmental issues. Avast amount of information is available from many government websites.
- Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Department of Energy Office of Environmental Management
- USA.gov: Environment, Energy and Agriculture Collection of government resources on environmental topics.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife
- FedStats: Environmental Statistics Data from over 100 government agencies
National and local environmental websites
- AASHE The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- Sierra Club
- Nature Conservancy A world leading environmental conservation organization
- New Jersey Environmental Organizations List of environment related organizations in the state of New Jersey.
- Environment New Jersey Research & Policy Center
- Research Centers New Jersey Research Center for Environmental Bioinformatics and Computational Toxicology One of EPA’s research centers in NJ
- Meadowlands Environmental Research Institute (MERI) Data rich website
- New Jersey Audubon Society A prominent private environmental organization in New Jersey.
- New Jersey Environmental Digital Library Information rich site, hosted by Rutgers University
Keep an open mind as you conduct research on any topic in the environmental science. There are many other places you can find valuable information beyond the list above.
Sean Chen, Librarian, Giovatto Library, FDU, June 2013