Each student requesting accommodations and support services through the Office of the Provost is required to submit documentation to verify eligibility under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and ODSS policies.
As defined by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), an individual with a disability is a person who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits a major life activity, including learning. Academic accommodations are implemented to provide equal access to college programs and services.
In order to accurately determine the appropriate accommodations:
- The documentation should be current (within past 3 years of application).
- Reflective of the student's current functioning.
- In all cases, the documentation should be appropriate to the anticipated setting.
- Accommodations provided for individuals with temporary disabling conditions may be subject to periodic review.
- An Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 Plan alone is not sufficient documentation of a disability.
For detailed information on documentation policy, please click here