Sport Psychology and Peak Performance
What is Sport Psychology?
Sport Psychology deals with the psychological factors associated with participation and performance in athletics. We primarily focus on helping athletes to use psychological principles and skills to:
- Improve performance
- Achieve Optimal Arousal
- Integrate Sport and Life
Why Contact a Sport Consultant?
- To improve performance
- To deal with the pressures of competition
- To enhance the experience of sport participation
- To get psychological assistance with injury prevention and rehabilitation
- To address personal challenges with school, sport, and life
Who can contact a Sport Consultant?
- An individual athlete
- A coach
- A team
- A parent
- An instructor
- A trainer
- An athletic program administrator
Sport Psychology and Peak Performance Counseling entails:
- Performance enhancement and life skills training
- Athlete, coach, and team relationship development
- Injury prevention and rehabilitation
Consultation with athletes and coaches is conducted in:
- individual meetings
- small group discussions
- team meetings.
Consultation with athletes and coaches will address athletic related issues such as, but not limited to communication, relaxation, motivation, team building, performance anxiety, and stress management.
Presentations and Workshops
Professional staff can provide presentations and workshops offering a psychological perspective to enhance performance. Presentations and workshops include:
Goal Setting for peak performance, strategies for training concentration, communicating effectively, and playing “in the zone.”
Our Mission & Our Staff
Our staff consists of psychologists and experienced doctoral candidates who are committed to helping athletes by working to clarify concerns, develop new coping and intervention strategies, and meeting their goals in sport and life.
Who can benefit from working with a sport consultant?
College athletes, high school athletes, youth athletes, coaches, and any individual interested in peak performance and enjoyment.
Common Reasons for seeking our services:
- Goal Setting
- Focus and Concentration
- Injury Prevention and Recovery
- Techniques for “Getting in the Zone”
- Team Cohesion and Communication
For an appointment, please call (201) 692-2645.
All services are strictly confidential.
Center for Psychological Services
Fairleigh Dickinson University
131 Temple Avenue
Hackensack, NJ 07601