SEVP Portal for Students on OPT and STEM OPT
On March 23, 2018, the Department of Homeland Security's Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) will launch the SEVP Portal.
It is MANDATORY that all FDU F-1 students on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) OPT update certain information within the Portal. The Portal is an online reporting tool that you may access using a mobile device or computer.
SEVP will email all students who are within their Approved OPT and STEM OPT periods instructions on creating a portal account on Friday March 23 after 8 PM ET. This email will come from do-not firstname.lastname@example.org.. lf you do not see the email by Monday March 26, check your spam or junk mail folder.
lf you have additional issues with the portal you may call the Office of lnternational Student Services to speak with an ISS Advisor on Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays 2 PM to 5 PM at 201.692.2743. Do not email your concerns; you must call during the stated hours.
Rules for Students with Standard 12 Month OPT
Students on standard 12 month OPT must now make all address and employer updates in the SEVP Porta! and should NO LONGER update lSS. Be sure to follow the below steps.
- Create SEVP Portal account to check your address (where you physically live) and employer information - lf this information is not correct you may update it yourself.
- Be sure you enter the address where you physical live - not your moiling oddress. You must update the Portal within 10 days of any change of address.
- Any change of employment must be updated in the Portal within 10 days of the change - This includes starting a job or ending a job.
- Enter a statement of how your work is directly related to your major of study.
- lf you have multiple employers, you must enter each employer into the Portal.
After updating your employer information in the Portal; if you wish to receive a new l-20 with the new employer information you must download the ISS Request Form at the link below and submit via email to email@example.com.
Forms and Packets: http://view2.fdu.edu/international-students/forms-packets/
Rule for Students with 24 Month OPT STEM Extension
Students on the 24 Month OPT STEM Extension must make address updates in the SEVP Portal. Any change of employer or substantive changes in your job must be submitted to ISS.. Be sure to follow the below instructions:
- Create SEVP Portal account to check your address (where you physically live) and employer information - You may only update your address and current employer information,
- lf changing employers, submit a new form l-983 completed by you and your new employer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When ending employment, update your employer end date in the SEVP Portal and submit the Final Evaluation located at the bottom of page 5 of the l-983 to email@example.com. The Final Evaluation must be completed by you and signed by your previous employer.
- Once your information is updated with ISS you will be contacted to receive your updated l-20 with new employer information.
Any data updates you make in the Portal will be sent directly to the Student and Exchange Visitor lnformation System (SEVIS)
New l-20s with updated employer information must either be picked up in person or set up a shipment using the ISS EShip Global system. lf you choose Eship Global you will receive an email with instructions after your l-20 is ready. You must allow 5 to 7 business days for processing.
Additional Portal lnformation
SEVP has created an SEVP Portal Help section on Study in the States with:
- The SEVP Portal User Guide which provides screenshots and detailed step-by-step instruction for using the portal.
- SEVP Portal videos
- A useful one-page reference sheet on the portal.
There is also a presentation entitled SEVP Portal and You.