Post June 12, 2018
Review the below important information on:
- ISS Summer Schedule
- USCIS Update on Third Party Employment Placements for STEM OPT
- End of Program Options
- Less Than Full Time – Final Semester
- Connecting with ISS
Metropolitan Campus Hours Summer 2018
Monday - Thursday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (June 15 – August 3)
Closed on Wednesday 9:00 - 12:00pm
Closed July 4th for Independence Day
Walk-In Advising Hours Monday and Wednesday 2pm - 5pm
(Walk-In Hours are meant for students to meet with an ISS advisor for a maximum of 10 minutes - no appointment necessary)
CPT Submissions - CPT applications may only be submitted during Walk-In Hours
Non Walk-In Times - All other times ISS is open and students may schedule an appointment with an advisor or submit requests. (Except CPT requests)
Location: International Student Services House 841 River Road Teaneck (2 houses south of Public Safety)
Florham Campus Hours Summer 2018
From June 4th to Friday August 3rd Florham international students should contact ISS at the Metro Campus to schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor in Florham – Normal hours will resume on Monday August 6th.
Location: Student Center - Dean of Students Suite
ISS Metro phone number - 201 692 2473
USCIS Update on Third Party Employment Placements for 24 Month STEM OPT
USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) has revised information on its STEM OPT webpage, clarifying the interpretation of the regulations regarding the employer-employee relationship "requirement" and conditions for third party placements, for STEM OPT students and employers.
The USCIS webpage is considered as policy guidance from USCIS. You may review the Federal Regulation on OPT STEM Extension as well as the USCIS webpage on STEM Employment below.
FEderal register Final Rule (regulation)
USCIS webpage on stem opt
International Student Services urges students on STEM OPT and students applying for STEM OPT to consult with their employers and a qualified attorney in order to understand the possible ramifications of this change on their employment.
ISS cannot provide guidance or interpretation of this information. Should your employer consider themselves in compliance with immigration regulations and policies, students may submit the appropriate documentation to ISS for STEM OPT processing.
Additional information can be found on the NAFSA webpage:
End of Program Options
If you are finishing your program this Spring or Summer please let ISS know your post completion plans. You may see your options below.
- Depart the U.S. within the “grace period” after completing your program. 60 day grace period for F-1 student 30 day grace period for J-1 students
- Apply (or have already applied) for OPT or Academic training. (ISS recommends you apply for OPT or Academic Training at least 8 weeks prior to your program completion.) Please be aware that your program completion date may be prior to the expiration date on your I-20. Your F-1 status ends on the day you complete your final program requirements. See OPT application andpacket http://view2.fdu.edu/international-students/optional-practical-training/
- Transfer your SEVIS record to a new school. (This must be done prior to the end of the 60 day grace period after program completion. F-1 students only)
- Enter a new academic program at FDU. (The new I-20 must be created within the 60 day grace period after program completion. F-1 students only)
- Apply (or have already applied) for a Change of Status with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
If you are not completing your program this Spring you will need to have the program extension form completed and submit to ISS all required documents before your program end date. See program extension form on the following webpage http://view2.fdu.edu/international-students/forms-packets/
Less Than Full Time Enrollment – Fall 2018
Are you entering your final academic semester in the Fall 2018 and do not have a full course load to complete your degree?
If yes, then you must submit the ISS Less Than Full Time Enrollment Form to ISS.
Complete the LFT Enrollment form located in ISS in the FORMS area or download the form. - This form must be completed by the student as well as academic advisor, then submitted to ISS.
Connecting with ISS
Please be sure to stay in touch with International Student Services either on Facebook (FDU ISS) or on the ISS news page
ISS FDU Facebook www.facebook.com/iss.fdu/