Employment Opportunities for J-1 Students

Types of Employment for J-1 Students

J-1 students may engage in two kinds of employment: (1) other employment related to academic funding, on-campus work, or economic necessity, and (2) academic training related to the course of study. Any type of employment must first be discussed with your Responsible Officer (RO), Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO), or program coordinator.

***It is important to note that your Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) is determined by the program sponsor of your DS 2019.  FDU may not be your program sponsor if you are sponsored by a government program. Any employment options must be discussed with your program coordinator prior to engaging in employment.

Other Employment related to Academic Funding

  • Employment pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship
  • Employment that occurs on the premises of the post-secondary accredited educational institution the visitor is authorized to attend
  • Employment that occurs off-campus, which is necessary because of serious, urgent, and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since acquiring exchange visitor status.


Academic Training

  • Academic training is training related to a student's field of study. Training is available before and after the completion of the academic program.
  • Academic training may be part time or full time.
  • Approval for academic training must be given by the program's Responsible Office.
  • Student must be in good standing.
  • The employment must be directly related to the student’s major field of study.
  • The student is required to obtain the specified health insurance coverage for himself and all dependents throughout the Academic Training period.
  • Academic training may not exceed the period of full course of study or 18 months, whichever is shorter. Ph.D student’s post-doctoral training may last as long as 36 months and may be possible to extend by 18 months.
  • Academic training approved after completion of the academic program must be reduced by any prior periods of "Academic Training".

Applying for Academic Training

If you are a J-1 student sponsored by FDU you must submit the following to the Office of International Student Services:

***If you are completing your program and would like to engage in post completion academic training you must make the request prior to the completion date on your DS 2019.  Any request made after the program completion date cannot be approved.  You would then need to present a firm offer of employment to the Responsible Officer for approval within thirty days of completion of studies.

***All J-1 students sponsored by a government agency must contact their program coordinator to determine eligibility.

1) Letter of offer from the employer, which must include the following:

  • Title of position
  • A description of the program
  • Dates and location of employment
  • Number of hours per week
  • Name of individual who will be the supervisor
  • Salary to be paid

2) Letter of recommendation from the academic department. 
    You should bring your hire letter to the department chair or advisor to review the job responsibilities to determine if the job is related to the field of study.


Although "Academic Training" can be applied for at anytime during the academic program students must submit post completion academic training request will all documents no later that 2 weeks after the program end date on the DS 2019.