Employment Opportunities for J-1 Students
Types of Employment for J-1 Students
J-1 students may engage in two kinds of employment: (1) other employment related to academic funding, on-campus work, or economic necessity, and (2) academic training related to the course of study. Any type of employment must first be discussed with your Responsible Officer (RO), Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO), or program coordinator.
***It is important to note that your Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) is determined by the program sponsor of your DS 2019. FDU may not be your program sponsor if you are sponsored by a government program. Any employment options must be discussed with your program coordinator prior to engaging in employment.
Other Employment related to Academic Funding
- Employment pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship
- Employment that occurs on the premises of the post-secondary accredited educational institution the visitor is authorized to attend
- Employment that occurs off-campus, which is necessary because of serious, urgent, and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since acquiring exchange visitor status.
- Academic training is training related to a student's field of study. Training is available before and after the completion of the academic program.
- Academic training may be part time or full time.
- Approval for academic training must be given by the program's Responsible Office.
- Student must be in good standing.
- The employment must be directly related to the student’s major field of study.
- The student is required to obtain the specified health insurance coverage for himself and all dependents throughout the Academic Training period.
- Academic training may not exceed the period of full course of study or 18 months, whichever is shorter. Ph.D student’s post-doctoral training may last as long as 36 months and may be possible to extend by 18 months.
- Academic training approved after completion of the academic program must be reduced by any prior periods of "Academic Training".
Applying for Academic Training for J-1 Students Sponsored by FDU
***All government sponsored students must contact their program coordinator to determine eligibility
If you are completing your program and would like to engage in post completion academic training you must make one of the following option requests prior to the completion date on your DS 2019. Any request made after the program completion date cannot be approved.
Option 1: If you have a job opportunity, present the offer letter of the work experience or internship to the Responsible Officer in ISS for approval at least two weeks prior to your program completion date.
Option 2: If you do not have a job opportunity but would like to receive a 30 day extension to search, you must inform the Responsible Officer in ISS at least two weeks before your DS 2019 expires to receive the extension. You will then receive a 30 day extension on your DS 2019. Once a job is located you must follow the requirements for the Academic Training extension below.
Process for Academic Training approval:
1) Submit a letter of offer from the internship/work experience supervisor to the Responsible Officer in ISS. The letter must include the following:
- Title of position
- A description of the program
- Dates and location of employment
- Number of hours per week
- Name of individual who will be the supervisor
- Salary to be paid
2) Submit the offer letter to the appropriate person at your home institution. It is the home institution's responsibility to determine if the job is related to your field of study.
3) The Responisible Office will contact your home institution to request a letter in writing, which approves the work experience.
4) Once approved the DS 2019 will be extended for the duration of your academic training.
5) You will have a 30 day post academic training grace period to depart the United States.
Although "Academic Training" can be applied for at anytime during the academic program students must submit post completion academic training request will all documents no later that 2 weeks after the program end date on the DS 2019.