Florham historic marker rededicated
April, 28 2017 — The Morris County Heritage Commission unveiled a new historic marker at the Madison Avenue entrance to Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Florham Campus. Replacing a damaged plaque, the new marker was dedicated in a short ceremony that featured remarks by Kathy DeFillipo, Morris County freeholder; Robert Conley, mayor of Madison; Peg Schulte, acting director of the Heritage Commission; and Peter Woolley, provost for the Florham Campus.
The plaque reads:
The country estate of Hamilton and Florence Vanderbilt Twombly features a mansion designed by McKim, Mead & White in 1893. The original plans for the grounds were designed by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. The property was acquired by Fairleigh Dickinson University in 1957.
Morris County Heritage Commission
Share this feature story: