Professor of Chemistry
School of Natural Sciences
Over the years, my main focus has been on teaching and I have been fortunate to have received the following teaching awards:
- Recipient of the COSE Outstanding Teaching Award (1992)
- Recipient of the EOF Outstanding Faculty Award (Teaneck campus - 1992)
- Recipient of the EOF Outstanding Faculty Award (Teaneck campus - 1999)
- Recipient of the University College Outstanding Teaching Award (1993)
Scholarly Interests and Pursuits
Main scholarly areas of interest are:
- Quantum Chemistry
- Chemical Physics
- Computational Chemistry
- Pedagogical issues associated with making advanced specialized scientific material more assessable to undergraduate science students.
I’ve done research with students on exactly solvable quantum mechanical systems and more recently have explored some aspects of Bader’s Quantum Theory of Atoms in Molecules – QTAIM.
The interface between traditional chemistry and quantum chemistry continues to intrigue me. Some of the foundations of traditional chemical theories are quite shaky, yet there is no denying the power and scope of these methods. Why is this so? Whence the power of traditional chemical models?
Graduate Courses Taught (FDU)
- Theoretical Inorganic Chemistry
- Structural Inorganic Chemistry
- Quantum Chemistry (CH641)
- Physical Organic Chemistry (CH 673)
- Mathematical Methods of Chemistry (CH 795)
- Introduction to Molecular Structure (CH?)
- Physical Chemistry CHEM 5242
- Thermodynamics (CH 651)
- Instrumental Analysis (CHEM 7733)
Selective Undergraduate Courses Taught :
- General Chemistry I Lecture
- General Chemistry II Lecture
- General Chemistry I Lab
- General Chemistry II Lab
- Physical Chemistry I (Lecture)
- Physical Chemistry II (Lecture)
- Physical Chemistry I (Lab)
- Physical Chemistry II (Lab)
- Instrumental Methods of Analysis (Lecture)
- Instrumental Methods of Analysis (Lab)
- Part of General Physics I
Publications and Other Creative Activities
- Murphy, A.R., Reed, L.H. "An Investigation of the Quality of Approximate Wave Functions", Journal of Chemical Education, Vol. 63, p-767, 1986.
- Murphy, A.R., Reed, L.H., "Ab Initio Calculations on a Microcomputer", Journal of Chemical Education, Vol. 64, p-789, 1987
- Murphy, A.R., Reed, L.H., "Notes to Accompany the Diskette Entitled SCF PROGRAM FOR TWO-ELECTRON DIATOMIC MOLECULES." This material is distributed by Project Seraphim which is a repository for educational software at the University of Indiana.
- Author along with Dr. Christopher Devine, James Dougherty, Ish Kumar, Mihaela Leoinida of the General Chemistry Laboratory Manual ( 2000 and revisions)
- Author of “Instrumental Methods of Analysis Laboratory Manual” (2014)
- Author of “Physical Chemistry I Laboratory Manual”(2015)
- School of Natural Sciences Seminar Series (Fall 2014) Talk Title: Molecular Structure - a Quantum Chemistry Perspective Part I.
- School of Natural Sciences Seminar Series (Spring 2015) Talk Title: Molecular Structure a Quantum Chemistry Perspective - Part II.
Drawing, Painting, Photography, Art History, Literature, History, Classical Music, and Classical Jazz
School of Natural Sciences
1000 River Road, (H-DH4-03)
Teaneck, NJ 07666
B.S., Fairleigh Dickinson University, Chemistry, (1961-1965)
M.S., Stevens Institute of Technology, Chemistry, (1965-1967)
Ph.D., Stevens Institute of Technology, Chemistry, (1967-1972)