Admissions Process for Adult Learners

Join FDU, as an Adult Learner...

Adult Success Students 440 FULL

To respond to the special needs of the adult learner, the University has developed a variety of two-year and four-year, traditional and nontraditional academic degree programs, certificate programs, support services and convenient class hours.

Academic credit may be awarded to qualified students based on an assessment of their life and work experiences through approved testing programs such as CLEP, ACT-PEP Regents, TECEP, Fairleigh Dickinson University Challenge Exams, ACE credit recommendations for certifiable professionals study, and the University's portfolio assessment program for experiential learning. Skills-building courses and programs also are available to help make the transition to college study as smooth and comfortable as possible.

Adult students may enroll in classes at Fairleigh Dickinson University as

  • matriculating students,
  • nondegree-nonmatriculating students,
  • auditors or noncredit students.

When to File an Application

Applications for admission are processed on a rolling basis and students may apply at any time prior to the start of classes. However, adult students are encouraged to apply at their earliest opportunity to allow ample time to complete the application process.

Admission Requirements

Adult students may apply for admission to the University based on a high school diploma (or the equivalent) or previous attendance in an accredited college or university. You may download an Application Form as a PDF file. NOTE: Please complete, print and sign the application before submitting.

To apply for admission as a matriculating student, complete the Undergraduate Adult and Part-Time Application Form and submit it to the Office of Undergraduate Adult and Part-Time Admissions with the $40.00 application fee. Submit an official academic transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Adult and Part-Time Admissions. If the applicant obtained an General Equivalency Diploma, a copy of the diploma and score sheet should be forwarded to the Office of Undergraduate Adult and Part-Time Admissions. Please note: adult applicants are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores.

A student who wishes to enroll in credit courses without seeking admission to a degree program may apply as a non-degree student. See specific information about non-degree status. Adult students who wish to enroll in noncredit courses and noncredit certificate programs should call the Office of Continuing Education at (201) 692-6500.


  • Submit Application
  • Submit Transcripts from all institutions attended since high school

If fewer than 24 college credits earned, submit High School Transcript, Diploma or GED with Scoresheet. No SAT or ACT test scores required.

For More Information, contact:

Office of Undergraduate Adult and Part-Time Admissions
Fairleigh Dickinson University
1000 River Road, H-DH1-05 
Teaneck, New Jersey 07666
(201) 692-2551 or

Application Form
(PDF download)


Former students of Fairleigh Dickinson University may apply for Readmission after a short break in attendance.