printable version

OIGA students on steps HALF*   When should an application be submitted to the Office of International Admissions?

Applications are accepted up to one year prior to the intended entering semester.  All applicants are encouraged to send applications and credentials as early as possible.  Early applicants increase their chance of admission to competitive programs and can enhance the probability of locating a residence hall room.

*   May I apply for admission for any semester during the academic year?

While most new international students and Americans abroad begin their studies during the fall semester which begins during the last week of August, it is possible to apply for admission for the spring semester which begins in late January.  International transfer and graduate students may also request admission for the summer session and may be admitted only if the appropriate courses are available to allow students to be full time.  Otherwise their applications will be considered for the following fall semester.

*   When are the application deadlines?

Freshmen, transfers from foreign universities and graduate students should send an application and supporting documents to the International Admissions Office by the following dates:

  • Fall (August) semester                                 July 1
  • Spring (January) semester                           December 1
  • Summer (May/June) semester*                   May 1

    *Please note that only transfer and graduate students, generally who are already studying in the U.S.,  are eligible to apply for the summer semester. Admission to the summer semester is subject to availability of classes. If no classes are offered, admission will be considered for the fall semester.

Presidential Scholarship Deadline (First-time undergraduate students only):

  • Fall  (August)semester:  January 15
  • Spring (January) semester:  November 1
  • Deadline Exceptions (for fall semester admission)

    • MFA in Creative Writing: March 1 for fall semester, Sept. 15 for spring semester
  • ** Please refer to the Psychology Department's homepage for more information about applying
    • Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology: January 15 

    • PsyD in School Psychology: March 1

    • PharmD in Pharmacy: May 1

    • M.A. in Psychology/School Psychology: March 15

    • M.A. in Psychology/Forensic Psychology: March 15

Transfer and graduate students from colleges and universities in the USA should send an application and supporting documents to the International Admissions Office by the following dates:

  • Fall (August) semester                                 August 1
  • Spring (January) semester                           January 1
  • Summer (May/June) semester*                   May 1

    *Please note that only transfer and graduate students, generally already studying in the U.S., are eligible to apply for the summer semester. Students are required to register as a full time student if starting in the summer (12 credits for Undergraduates and 9 credits for Graduate students.)  Admission to the summer semester is subject to availability of classes and is only available for summer session 1. If no classes are offered, admission will be considered for the fall semester.

*   When will I receive an admissions decision?OIGA Art Class HALF

After the Application for International Admissions is received and complete with all required credentials and documents, an admission decision is usually sent within three weeks or less.

*   How are admission decisions made in international admission?

Admission decisions are based on an applicant’s academic credentials and proficiency in English.  For an applicant who requires a student visa, the ability to finance his or her studies at Fairleigh Dickinson University is also considered.

If a student is academically admissible to a degree program, the admissions committee then determines how academically strong the student is compared to other applicants.

*   Must I take the a test of English (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.)?

Applicants whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in English.  Citizens from the following countries are exempt: Antigua & Barbuda,  Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Belize, Canada (all provinces except Quebec), Fiji, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, New Zealand, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, Trinidad & Tobago and the United Kingdom.

The TOEFL is the most frequently submitted examination score that the University receives, however the admissions committee will use other measures upon the applicant’s request.  The IELTS, Pearson's PTE-A and SAT examinations may also be used.

Click here for more information about English proficiency.

*   Does the University offer conditional admission?

Academically qualified applicants who do not meet our English proficiency requirements may be conditionally admitted and may enroll in an intensive English program through the ELS Center located on the Metropolitan Campus in Teaneck, NJ.  Please visit our Conditional Admission and ELS page for more information on how to apply.

More information about the ELS center is available via http://www.els.edu or by email at tea@els.edu. 

After successful completion of the program, the student may enroll at the University as a fully matriculated student.

*   I am currently finishing my final year of secondary school or university.  Do I have to wait until I finish the year to apply to Fairleigh Dickinson?

No, the University would prefer that you apply during your final year by sending a transcript which includes your mid-year grades/marks of your final year and courses in progress.  If you are admitted, your admission will be conditional until your final year grades/marks are received and reviewed by the International Admissions Office.  You will not be permitted to register for your first semester at Fairleigh Dickinson until your final transcript is received.

*   Is the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT) required for freshman admission?

No, it is not required for international students; however it is highly recommended that all freshmen applicants take the examination.  High scores will enhance the student’s chance of admission.  Also, the SAT or ACT score is required to be considered for a Colonel Fairleigh S. Dickinson Scholarship and the Presidential Scholarship.

For our testing codes, click here.

*   Is the GRE or GMAT required for graduate admission?OIGA Back of Mansion HALF

Most students applying to a master’s or doctoral degree program should submit a GRE or GMAT score. Test scores are not required for the Master of Administrative Science (MAS)*, Master of Public Administration (MPA) or MS in Hospitality Management, M.S. in Homeland Security*, MSA in Sports Administration, MS in Service Innovation and Leadership*, MFA in Creative Writing* or M.A. in Student Services Administration* and M.A. in Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language (TESL/TEFL).

* Program not available to F-1 or J-1 students

The GMAT or GRE is required for all applicants to the MBA program, as well as for the MS programs in taxation, accounting and supply chain management.

The GRE is required for all other programs not mentioned above.

For our testing codes, click here.

*   Does the University require original educational documents?

All application requirements including transcripts, letters of recommendation, test scores and bank statements must be official, original documents.  In addition, attested English translations of foreign transcripts are required.  Facsimiles (faxes), scanned documents or photocopies are not acceptable. Once submitted, all documents become the property of the University and cannot be returned.

*   I only have a three-year bachelor’s degree.  Can I apply for admission to a master’s degree program?

A minimum of four years of undergraduate study, or the equivalent, is required for admission.  However, students with less than four years, who seek admission to the M.S. in Computer Science, M.S. in Management Information Systems or MBA program, may request admission to the Bridge Program.  If admitted to the bridge program, one year of undergraduate coursework must be taken as a Fairleigh Dickinson student to satisfy the four-year requirement. Students with three year degrees who are interested in majors other than Computer Science, MIS or MBA must apply as undergraduate transfer students. Information for transfer applicants can be found here.

For additional bridge information, click here.

*   How and when do I apply for a scholarship?

To apply for an international scholarship, first-time bachelor's/transfer/graduate applicants should submit an International Scholarship Application Form at the same time as submitting an Application for International Admission.  Scholarship and admission decisions are made at the same time, and notifications are sent together to the applicant.  Freshmen applicants are automatically considered for the Colonel Fairleigh S. Dickinson Scholarship after submitting an admission application and SAT or ACT scores.

For more information about scholarships and financial aid for international students, click here.

*   What happens once I am admitted?

You will need to complete and return a matriculation form and a US $200 tuition deposit by the reply date specified in your letter of admission.  If for some reason you are denied a student visa for Fairleigh Dickinson University, your $200 will be refunded in full.

Students who would like to live on campus must submit an additional $350 housing deposit and the room reservation form.

As soon as your tuition deposit is received, you will receive detailed information concerning your arrival, international student orientation program, residence halls and required medical forms by e-mail.

*   Can I receive credit for high scores on the AP exams, IB tests, or GCE Advanced Level results?

After you have been admitted to the University, you may request an evaluation by the Office of International Admissions. Additional information about credit given for each of these examinations can be found at the bottom of our Undergraduate Applicant page.

*   Is a residence hall room on campus guaranteed?

OIGA Northpoint HALFRooms for students are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.  For this reason, it is important to apply for admission well in advance of your desired entering semester.  You may not apply for a residence hall room until after you have been admitted. Submit a $550 tuition and housing deposit, the matriculation form and the housing application to the Office of International and Graduate admissions by the date indicated on your admission letter.

Housing Forms

*   What is the process for obtaining a student visa?

Once an international student has been admitted and provided documented proof of financial responsibility, the International Admissions Office will issue an I-20 student visa form.  You must then contact an American embassy or consulate and follow the procedure to apply for a student visa.  The exact procedure can usually be found on the embassy or consulate web site. Click here for additional immigration information.

*   I entered the United States on a tourist visa.  Must I return home to apply for a student visa?

In most cases, a tourist visa cannot be changed to a student visa while you are in the United States. Click here for additional information about visas.