Graduate Financial Aid

Financial aid for graduate and professional students is available from various sources (institutional, federal and private) and include fellowships, scholarships, grants and loan programs. To apply for financial aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15. Please use the appropriate school code when completing the FAFSA to prevent delays:

Florham Campus  004738
Metropolitan Campus  002607

If you have additional questions you may email us at  Students at the Metropolitan Campus, may contact us via telephone at 201-692-2363. Students at the College at Florham may contact us at 973-443-8700.

Financial aid awards are processed annually based on continued financial need, enrollment status, availability of funds, and maintaining satisfactory academic progress. Students with extenuating circumstances (such as unemployment, death or serious illness in the family) that are not reflected on the FAFSA are encouraged to visit the Office of Financial Aid at any point during the year. Additional financial aid may be available; documentation of circumstances will be required for a re-evaluation and consideration of additional financial aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Continued eligibility for federal financial aid requires a student maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward completion of the degree program. SAP reviews are performed at the end of the spring semester. To meet SAP requirements, a graduate student must complete no less than 67% of the credits attempted and meet a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 for all colleges except the Silberman College of Business, Public Administration Institute, Corporate & Organizational Communication Programs and Nursing which require a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00; and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25 for the Clinical Psychology (PhD) program.

Effective Spring 2012, due to changes in federal regulations, the financial aid office is required to monitor and adjust a student's enrollment level for Title IV aid (including Federal Direct Loans) if or when they repeat coursework for credit that they have already earned.

This applies to all students regardless of any policy within an academic program requiring a higher grade in the course. Students may retake courses and receive federal aid if they had previously failed a course, but can only receive financial aid one time for a course that has been previously passed. A passing grade is defined as D or better.

A student may receive financial aid under the following conditions:

  • To repeat any failed course that has never been passed until a passing grade is received
  • To repeat any withdrawn course with a grade of W that has never been passed previously until a passing grade is received
  • To repeat one time any course in which one previously received a passing grade (D or better)

Note: After receiving the first passing grade in a course, a "W" is counted as a retake of the course. Any enrollment status changes will affect the amount of the financial aid award in a term.

Financial Aid Awarding

Students who are passing SAP, registered for the subsequent semester and have completed Federal verification (if applicable) are eligible to receive continued funding. Students who are NOT passing SAP are not eligible for renewed funding. However, students can appeal in writing to the Financial Aid Appeal Committee and a decision will be reached concerning probationary status.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Guidelines

Students may appeal a decision to deny aid per SAP guidelines if there has been an unexpected, exceptional event that hindered their ability to perform to standards. Approval of an appeal will allow a student to receive federal aid for a one-term probationary period. At the end of the probationary period the student must meet minimum SAP guidelines for continued eligibility.

All appeals are confidential and documentation provided will be used for this purpose alone. Appeals must be made in writing and submitted to the Office of Financial Aid. All appeals are reviewed by committee.