FAQs Advanced Psy.D. Program in School Psychology

How long does it take to complete the program?

The program is a 54 credit Psy.D. that typically takes 3 to 4 years to complete. There are two years of academic coursework (which include summer sessions) followed by a one-year internship. Students must also successfully complete a Comprehensive Examination as well as complete a dissertation.

Must I already be certified as a School Psychologist?

Yes. Because our program builds upon, and utilizes, the experiences of a school psychologist, the minimum requirement for acceptance to our program is the possession of valid state certification as a school psychologist.

Must I be working as a school psychologist?

Yes. You must have at least one year of experience beyond internship.

Can I transfer any credit into the program?

Usually not since all credits awarded for the Masters/certification are "accepted" as a prerequisite to the program. All students must complete the 54 credits outlined for the program.

Are all the classes taught in the evening?

Yes. The earliest class typically begins at 4:00. Classes are scheduled in such a way that students can usually expect to be on campus 2 evenings a week. Typically one night would have two classes while the second night would have one class. There are some additional time commitments (Advanced Clinic Practicum) during the second year that may require additional hours on campus.

Are classes taught in the summer?

Yes. Each summer two classes are scheduled. They are typically scheduled to run over the first and second summer sessions so that all students are off during the month of August.

Must I write a dissertation?

Yes. All students, working with a mentor and a dissertation committee, are required to research and write a dissertation.

If I am working, can I keep my job as my internship site?

Yes. However, explicit conditions need to be met including a change in at least 50% of your current role and function and provisional supervision by a licensed psychologist.There is no clear answer to this question, since it can only be determined on an individual basis.