The Henry P. Becton School of Nursing & Allied Health
The School of Nursing and Allied Health offers courses and academic programs that prepare graduates for careers in nursing, clinical lab studies, and medical and radiologic technology.
Founded in 1942, Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU) is an independent nonsectarian institution of higher education offering high-quality, career-oriented undergraduate and graduate programs. FDU is one of New Jersey’s leading institutions of private higher education, with nearly 100 career-oriented programs on the undergraduate and graduate levels. The University has two campuses in northern New Jersey (the College at Florham in Florham Park and Madison, and the Metropolitan Campus in Teaneck and Hackensack) and two international campuses (Wroxton College in Oxfordshire, England and a campus in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.)
The School of Nursing is celebrating 58 years of providing excellent nursing education to 2,060 graduates of the program this year. In 1952, the school of Nursing started as a department 10 years after Fairleigh Dickinson University was founded. In 1993, the department was designated as School of Nursing.
The first program at the School of Nursing was an associate degree-nursing program developed in 1952. As the trend toward baccalaureate education increased, the program was phased out and graduated its last class in 1970. In 1968, the associate degree program was replaced by the generic baccalaureate program for students who just graduated from high school. In 1985, an accelerated track of baccalaureate program designed for non-nurses holding baccalaureate degrees in other disciplines were initiated. This was offered as a full-time one year program. In fall 1993, a two year division of the accelerated track was initiated. As the interest in a nursing career dwindled among high school graduates, the enrollment in the accelerated programs for second career individuals has increased.
The Programs of the School of Nursing are fully accredited by the commission on Nursing Education (CCNE), the New Jersey Board of Nursing and the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Throughout its long history of providing excellent nursing education, the School of Nursing has been helped with generous contributions from others. In June 1995, Fairleigh Dickinson University received a generous donation from the Becton Dickinson Company. Through this generosity, the School of Nursing was named after Henry P. Becton, a partner of the Becton Dickinson Company. Thus, the School of Nursing is designated as the Henry P. Becton School of Nursing and Allied Health.