MS in Accounting Degree Requirements
This 30-credit program is for students who have the bachelor's degree or concentration in accounting and is designed to meet the 150-hour educational requirements for the New Jersey CPA Exam.
Required Courses (15 Credits)
Elective (15 Credits)
• One Accounting Elective
• Two Accounting or Tax Electives
• Two Graduate Business Electives* (6 credits)
*may be taken as two three-credit courses or three two-credit courses
This 30-credit program is designed for students who have not earned the bachelor's degree in accounting. The requirements for the NJ CPA examination have changed, effective as of June 2017. In addition to 24 credits of accounting courses, 24 credits of business courses are also required. Six credits of business courses are already included in this Track B program. Students without a buisiness background will need to take an additional 18 credits of business courses to sit for the NJ CPA exam.
Prerequisites (2 Credits)
Program Requirements (30 Credits)
• ACCT6605 Federal Tax I
• ACCT6606 Federal Tax II
• ACCT6630 Intermediate Financial Accounting 1
• ACCT6635 Intermediate Financial Accounting 2
• ACCT6640 Advanced Financial Accounting
• ACCT6617 Cost: Measurement, Planning and Control
• ACCT6618 Auditing Concepts and Methods
• ACCT6680 Selected Accounting Topics
• FIN6020 Finance for Accountants*
• LAW6657 Applied Business Law
NOTE: At least one undergraduate course in financial accounting is required for admission into the program. Students with comparable graduate coursework may request a waiver from the department chair.
*ACCT/TAX course may be substituted with documentation of equivalent finance class.