MBA Waiver Policy
MBA Foundation Course Waiver Policy
The traditional MBA degree course curriculum enables students to choose a specialization from eight different disciplines and consists of 42 credits. Students with comparable undergraduate coursework may request a waiver for any of the six MBA foundation courses, up to a maximum of 12 credits, using the MBA Waiver Statement as a guide.
The six MBA foundation courses that are eligible for waiver include:
- ACCT5012 Financial Accounting: End User Applications
- DSCI5012 Statistical Data Analysis
- ECON5012 Economic Analysis
- FIN5012 Principles of Finance
- MGMT5012 Foundations of Management
- MKTG5012 Marketing Principles
Note: Students requesting a waiver must have taken each class within the last five years and received a grade of B or better.
Students are required to complete Waiver Request Form, attach the required documentation supporting their request and submit the request directly to the Department Chair in which the course is offered. Waiver approval must be received no later than the end of the student's first semester.
Required documentation includes:
- Academic transcript (copy acceptable)
- Syllabus for the course(s) previously completed. The syllabus should provide the following information:
- Course Description
- Course Topics
- Course Objectives
- In-class Hours/ Class Schedule
- Description of Assignments
- Title and Author(s) of Textbook(s) Used in the Course
- Grading/Assessment Policy (helpful, but not required)
- Resume (helpful, but not required)
Once the required documents are submitted by the student requesting a waiver, that student should expect a response in about one week. Please do not check back daily.
The waiver request will be reviewed by the department chair whose decision is final.
In some cases, the department chair may require the student to take a proficiency examination to further demonstrate the student's knowledge in the specific area. Proficiency exams must be completed prior to the completion of the students first semester.
NOTE: The MBA Core consists of a total of 18 credits of REQUIRED courses. These courses cannot be waived; however, a student will be eligible to transfer a maximum of 6 credits provided these credits have been earned in an MBA program at another AACSB-accredited institution under the following conditions:
- The coursework must be approved as part of the student's program of studies
- It must not have been applied to the completion of the requirements for another degree
- It must have been taken at the graduate level
- It must have been taken within the last 5 years
- The student must have received a grade of 'B' or better
Approval of transfer credit will be made by petition to the department chairperson for the course in question.