Veterans Launching Ventures Certificate Course
- Are you a veteran who is ready to meet your next challenge?
- Do you want to start or grow your own business, but need some guidance?
If you're a veteran, and the idea of being an entrepreneur excites you, Veterans Launching Ventures (VLV) is for you.
You will graduate from the course knowing:
- fundamental entrepreneurial skills needed in today's business environment
- the competencies you need to launch your new business
- how to build a robust marketing plan
- how to develop financial projections for your new business
- how to develop a comprehensive business plan so you can make an informed decision about the feasability of starting your new business
- sharpen presentation skills
- how to develop an operations plan
- how to develop fundraising strategies
Who can apply for the course?
- Veterans and active duty servicepersons from all branches of the U.S. military
- All spouses and children of veterans may apply.
- This certificate is not available to residents of Puerto Rico. FDU is in the process of seeking an exemption from the authorizing body, the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA).
What makes VLV a great opportunity for veterans?
- VLV will give you the skills and support you need to seize entrepreneurial opportunities and launch a small business.
- VLV combines in-person evening instruction with online education.
- VLV is also available fully-online.
- Veterans enjoy a supportive collegial environment with other veterans.
- Each veteran is matched with his or her own mentor for individual guidance and support during the program. Mentors are successful entrepreneurs themselves.
- Each mentor will continue to assist / guide the veteran for a period of ten months following the completion of the course.
Register for winter, spring, or fall.
The certificate is offered in one of two formats: blended or online.
- Blended (or hybrid) instruction is offered in either the spring semester from March to May, or the fall semester from October to December. All study materials are available online, and all homework is submitted online. In-person workshops are held bi-weekly on campus.
- The online version of the course is offered in the winter intersession from January to March and has no in-person meetings. All study is completed online. The curriculum is the same for both formats.
What is the cost?
- A $100 deposit will need to be made up-front by all veterans who participate. This deposit will be returned upon successful completion of the course.
What to expect for the blended version of the course.
At the first in-person session there will be an evening introductory workshop. You will be assigned a mentor, and meet him or her in person. Your mentor will be available for help and consultations throughout the course, and up to ten months after the course ends.
- The course meets in-person every other week.
- Face-to-face workshops meet bi-weekly from 6 PM to 9 PM.
- Face-to-face workshops are held either on the Florham Campus in Madision, NJ or the Metropolitan Campus in Teaneck, NJ. The location varies depending on demand. Check the dates and locations on the application form.
- Following each workshop, instruction is taught online.
- You will need to submit weekly assignments online. Be prepared to spend some time on study and homework.
- Attendance at all workshop sessions and graduation day is required.
- A light meal will be served at each session.
- The syllabus is available upon request.
- During the last two weeks of the course, you will finalize your business plan presentations with the assistance of instructors and mentors.
On the final day of the program, students will present their business plans to faculty and mentors, followed by a graduation reception.
VLV is generously funded by Bank of America, Investors Foundation, Jesra Foundation, SCORE and TD Charitable Foundation, and is free to all who successfully complete the requiements.
Veterans Launching Ventures is a course offered by the Rothman Institute of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, part of Silberman College of Business of Fairleigh Dickinson University.
Room C3, Hennessy Hall (the mansion), Florham Campus
GPS: 1 Mansion Mall, Madison, NJ 07940
Fairleigh Dickinson University
285 Madison Ave, M-MS1-05
Madison, NJ 07940