3. A Development Plan for the Future Generation
1. Draw an organization chart
2. Ask yourself: Where are you now?
3. Where would you like to be?
4. Is there a lack of clarity? Why?
5. List your 2-5-10 year goals.
6. Identify the roles and responsibilities related to each set of goals.
7. What do you need to learn.... in terms of knowledge? Skills?
8. Outline the best way to acquire the necessary skills, either in or outside the family business?
9. Advise the family of your intentions and obtain their support.
10. Find out who will monitor your progress.