This initiative began in early February, 2006 with Students, Faculty and Administration meeting with Alison Para of the Emerging Green Builders Council, New Jersey Chapter. The group then met with the FDU Facilities Manager to discuss how students could be involved with creating and sustaining a green campus. This led to the formation of the Sustainable Campus Committee open to anyone on both campuses and the Green Club for students.
In October 2006, the Green Club at the Florham Campus was approved as a new student organization.
To assess and minimize the ecological footprint made by Fairleigh Dickinson University
• To create an awareness of sustainability among students, faculty, staff and administration at Fairleigh Dickinson University
• To initiate and sustain a green club for students at the College of Florham and Teaneck Campuses
• To involve students, faculty, staff and administration in events that promote sustainability on the FDU campus and around New Jersey and beyond
• To support and participate in the mission of ISE through a sustainable campus committee
Green Club Projects
• Create awareness through Green Day Events
• Move Out Day Event to reduce campus waste
• Conservation of Energy and Recycle Contests
• Sustainability Art/Poster Contests
• Campus Clean up Day
• Green Learning Center
• Networks for students through NJHEPS, Net Impact, Emerging Green Builders Council
• Improve the overall quality of life on campus
• Represent a forum for student input on energy efficiency
The Monninger Learning Center on the Florham Campus has achieved gold-level LEED certification status for its many sustainability elements. This is a great achievement.
Check out These Websites
• http://www.alternet.org/story/69262/ We Are What We Eat
By Jamey Lionette, South End Press
• http://www.garbagewarrior.com/index.php Check out this trailer, available on DVD