William J. Roberts, Ph.D.
Director, Public Administration Institute
William J. Roberts, Ph.D.
(W) 201 692 7176
BA in History and Political Science, FDU, 1967
MA in Early Modern European History, FORDHAM UNIVERSITY, 1969
M. Phil.in Modern European Intellectual History, CUNY, 1987
Ph.D. in Modern European Intellectual History, CUNY, 1988
Thesis: " Mazzini's exiles in France and Britain"
Thesis supervisor: Gertrude Himmelfarb, Ph.D.
LANGUAGES: French, Italian, German.
1970 - Present : Professor of History, FDU
1998 - Present : Director of the Public Administration Institute, FDU.
Heritage of the Past I and II; Modern World;
Modern Cultural History;
History of Business.
Modern Western Europe; Modern Western Political Theory;
MPA Project Writing.
* Roberts, W., History of Modern France: From the Renaissance to the Present, New York: Factsonfile, Inc. 2004
* Roberts, W. et al . Controversial Concordats : The Church and the Dictators, ( F. Coppa,ed.) Washington D.C.: C.U.A. Press, 1999 .
* Roberts, W. (contributor) " Mazzini and Lamennais" Encylopedia of the Essay, (T.Chevalier, ed) London : Fitzroy Dearborn, 1997
* Roberts, W. (contributor) IL Mazzinianesimo nel Mondo, Pisa: Istituto Domus Mazziniana, 1995.
* Roberts, W. and Sammartino, P. Sicily : An Informal History, London : Associated University Presses, 1992.
* Roberts, W. (contributor) Encyclopedia of the Vatican and Papacy, ( F. Coppa, ed.) West port, Conn.Greenwood Press, 1999 .
* Coppa, F, and Roberts, W. Modern Italian History: An Annotated Bibliography, Westport,Conn. Greenwood Press, 1991.
* Roberts, W. Prophet in Exile : Joseph Mazzini 1837-1868, New York, Peter Lang, 1989.
* Roberts, W. (contributor) The Dictionary of Modern Italian History , (F.Coppa, ed) Westport, Conn. Greenwood Press, 1983.
Papers presented at such conferences as the Duquesne History Forum, the AHA, ACHA, NYSHA, and the
International Mazzini Conference include:
" Napolean Bonaparte and the Concordat of 1801"
" French Fascism and the French Right"
" Vatican Diplomacy and the First Consulate"
" Lamennais and "L'Avenir'"
" Mazzini and the Revolution of 1848"
" Jean Jaures and French Socialism"
" Doriot's Parti Populaire Francais"
FDU Grant - in - Aid :
1991 "Biography of Mazzini"
2000 "Encyclopedia of Modern France"
National Endowment for the Humanities Grant, 1993 "Studies in History of Zionism"
*Lexington Who's Who :
Biographical candidate 2000/2001
*1999 FDU Distinguished Faculty Award for Service
*1995 "Men of Achievement" listing
*1994 FDU T/H Campus Outstanding Faculty Award
*1993 "Who's Who in the East" listing
*1992 EWC Outstanding Faculty Award.
Links of interest:
William J.Roberts, Ph.D.
1000 River Road-H-DH2-13
Teaneck, New Jersey 07666
Born in Weehawken, NJ
Advocate for animal rights
PETA,FOA. ALD., Farm Sanctuary, NJARA, Bergen County Humane Association, Greenpeace, Union of Concerned Scientists.
"All things are born of the unborn, and from this unity of life flows brotherhood and compassion for all creatures."
"A man is truly ethical only when he obeys the compulsion to help all life which he is able to assist, and shrinks from injuring anything that lives."
"I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from cruelty of man."
"When a thing exists which you really abhor, I wish you would remember a little whether in letting it alone you are minding your own business on principle, or simply because it is comfortable to do so".