Sustainability: Unleashing HR's Contribution
Sustainability: Unleashing HR’S Contribution
Thursday, July 18, 2013
Today’s business leaders are challenged to build more sustainable enterprises, and HR practitioners are searching for ways to add value and support them. This recertification approved workshop (6.5 credit hours*) helps HR leaders and practitioners discover how they can play a critically needed role in helping organizations become more sustainable, guiding them to holistically embrace social, environmental, and economic issues simultaneously.
Sustainability Opportunities for HR Practitioners
While the role of Human Resources is critical in supporting organizational change, culture, values, and leadership, it has largely been missing in action in the transformation to sustainability. According to research on some of the world’s most sustainable companies, HR makes its strongest contribution to sustainability in leadership development, organization culture, talent management systems and processes, ethics, valuing diversity, transparency in governance, and employee engagement.
HR can further increase its involvement in sustainability strategies by:
- Helping to manage the transformational change process
- Fostering cross-boundary collaboration and teamwork
- Creating and inculcating sustainability-related values, and
- Supporting environmental, health and safety initiatives.
At the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Define sustainability and the global driving forces creating the urgency for change.
- Examine the business case for sustainability by exploring examples, cases and stories from leading-edge sustainable companies.
- Develop knowledge about how to build a sustainable enterprise by understanding the 3 levels and 7 core qualities of the Sustainability Pyramid Framework.
- Describe HR’s role as a catalyst for change, facilitator and strategic business partner to build and manage talent pipelines, create an organizational culture for sustainability and leverage corporate social responsibility and philanthropic activities aligned with the organization’s strategic plans.
- Review principles, tools, frameworks and resources to design and implement high-impact sustainability initiatives.
- Outline the role of values and ethics in sustainable talent management systems and tie it into performance management.
- Establish a preliminary action plan to secure HR’s place in the organization’s sustainability strategy.
This highly impactful one-day workshop provides motivation, inspiration, core capabilities, knowledge and skills to HR practitioners enabling them to play a significant role and make a meaningful difference in fostering sustainability in their organizations for years to come.
Jeana Wirtenberg, Ph.D., President and & CEO of Transitioning to Green LLC and the Transitioning to Green Foundation, whose mission is helping organizations and individuals thrive in the emerging green economy. For more Information:
*6.5 Business Management and Strategy recertification credit hours have been awarded to this workshop. Content of the workshop covers HR subject matters under the Business Management and Strategy guideline of the HR Certification Institute PHR/SPHR Body of Knowledge. NOTE: This program also qualifies for General recertification credit hours for attendees seeking General recertification credits. The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute's criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.
UNLEASHING HR’S CONTRIBUTION
One Day Workshop
Thursday, July 18 2013
9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fairleigh Dickinson University College at Florham
Hartman Lounge in Hennessy Hall (Mansion)
285 Madison Avenue
Madison, New Jersey
Division of Continuing Education
140 University Plaza Drive
Hackensack, New Jersey
1000 River Road, H-DH1-02
Teaneck, NJ 07666