Basic Rider Course
Basic Rider Course (BRC) to obtain NJ Motorcycle License
Successful completion qualifies you for a valid NJ Motorcycle Driver’s license. You will receive a NJ MVC Road Test Waiver and a BRC Completion Card from the MSF. Upon presenting these items at MVC you will receive your license.
Students with a valid NJ Driver's License who successfully complete the BRC may be eligible for the NJ MVC Road Test Waiver.
We supply use of motorcycles and helmets.
- Riding and classroom course
- Approximately 15 hours of instruction
- Interactive classroom instruction
- Prepares you with concept and strategies for riding within a controlled, closed course environment.
- Class includes basic motorcycle operation, safety strategies and maneuvering a motorcycle in tough situations.
- Learn swerving, avoiding collisions, lane changes and avoiding hazards.
- Successfully completion of E-Course. (NOTE: If e-Course is not completed before BRC, there will be a delay in receiving your completion paperwork)
- Valid NJ Driver’s license. If you have a NJ Driver's License you do not need to obtain a motorcycle permit to take this course.
- No motorcycle experience necessary.
- A good sense of balance and the ability to ride a bicycle.
- Notarized parental consent if under the age of 18.
- You must supply proper riding gear (see below).
- If you are under 5' tall, please visit your local motorcycle shop to be sure both your feet touch the ground when seated on a 125cc or 250cc motorcycle.
Bring with you to class
- Photo I.D. and NJ Driver's License or Motorcycle Permit
- FDU BRC receipt and Statement of Understanding
- Over the ankle footwear (broken-in), leather preferable, minimum of 1-inch above the ankle bone.
- DOT approved eye protection.
- Long sleeve jacket or shirt.
Long pants of durable material. MUST be free of defects.
(NOT Sweatpants, slacks, jogging suits/flared pants.)
- Full-fingered gloves. We STRONGLY recommend leather.
- Rain gear, since classes run rain or shine.
- Snacks and beverages.
- Prompt, 100% attendance, in the order the curriculum is presented. Late students WILL be dismissed.
Select 2 ½ days or 2 days
2-day classes start at 8 AM each day
Monday start dates
- Mar 12, Apr 2, Apr 23, May 14, Jun 4, Jun 25, Jul 2, Jul 23, Aug 13, Sept 17, Oct 29
Tuesday start dates
- Mar 20, Apr 10, May 1, May 22, Jun12, Jul 10, Jul 31, Aug 21, Oct 16
Wednesday start dates
- Mar 28, Apr 18, May 9, May 30, Jun 20, Jul 18, Aug 8, Aug 29, Sept 12, Oct 3
Thursday start dates
- Apr 5, Apr 26, May 17, Jun 7, Jun 28, Jul 5, Jul 26, Aug 16
Saturday start dates
- Mar 12, Mar 31, Apr 7, Apr 14, Apr 28, May 5, May 12, May 19, May 26, Jun 2, Jun 9, Jun 23, Jun 30, Jul 7, Jul 14, Jul 21, Jul 28, Aug 4, Aug 11, Aug 18, Aug 25, Sept 8, Sept 15, Sept 29, Oct 6, Oct 13, Oct 27, Nov 3, Nov 10
2.5-day classes start at 6 PM the first evening, 7 AM the next 2 consecutive days
Friday start dates
- Mar 23, Apr 20, May 18, Jun 15, Jul 20, Aug 17, Sept21, Oct 19, Nov 16
FDU Continuing Ed.
140 University Drive
FDU Continuing Ed.
1000 River Rd.
Teaneck, NJ 07666