Modern Language Faculty - Gloria Pastorino
Office Mansion W-25
PhD, Harvard University; M.A., Harvard University; M.A., University of New Mexico; Laurea (B.A. and M.A.) Istituto Universitario di Lingue Moderne (IULM), Milano, Italy; Cours de français, Université Catholique de Louvain-la-neuve, Belgique; Universidad Pontificia de Salamanca, Diploma de Lengua y Literatura; University of Cambridge, England, Certificate of Proficiency in English.
Interests: Italian Theatre from the Commedia dell'arte to the XXI century; French, British, American drama; the novel XVIII-XXI century (English, French, Spanish, Italian, American); South African literature; Indian XX-century novel; Native American literatures and cultures
- “Un senso diverso: Luchino Visconti e l’adattamento della novella diCamillo Boito” in: Cinema e Risorgimento:Visioni e Re-Visioni. Vecchiarelli, 2012
- “Voyeurism andDesire Keeping The Right Distance”submitted and accepted for publication in NEMLAItalian Studies, vol. XXXIV (2012).
- “Dreamed Cityscapes: CarmineAmoroso’s Cover-Boy” in NEMLA Italian Studies, vol. XXXIII(2011), p. 94-106.
- “Il corpo sopra (t) tutto nel teatro della Valdoca e dellaSocìetas Raffaello Sanzio” in L’Altro el’Altrove nella cultura italiana (a cura di Fulvio Orsitto). Cuneo: LeBandiere, 2011, p. 53-68.
- “‘We Inhabit a Language’:Perception of the Other in Amara Lakhous’ Clashof Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio” in After Writing Back. Present and FuturePerspectives in Postcolonial Studies (article submitted and approved forpublication by the editor of the volume and peer reviewers. The editor isnegotiating a contract with Cambridge Scholars, 2012)
- “Death byWater? Otherness in Moshen Melliti’s Io,l’altro” In: From Terrone toExtracomunitario: New Manifestations of Racism in Contemporary Italian Cinema(ed. Grace Bullaro) Kibworth, Leicester: Troubadour Publishing Ltd, 2010
- “The Death ofthe Author and the Power of Addiction in BladeRunner and Naked Lunch” in: Science Fiction, Critical Frontiers.London: Macmillan Press, 2000
- “Ci vuole unbravo sarto: Dario Fo e il restauro della lingua teatrale” Sipario, June 1999
- “Il poeta tragli alberi: Seamus Heaney e il mito di Sweeney” Microprovincia. Nuova Serie, vol. 37, gennaio-dicembre 1999
- Contributor and reviewer for Liaisons. Introduction to French. Cengage, 2012
- Contributor and reviewer for Horizons. 5th edition. Cengage, 2012
- Co-author of Immagina. Boston: Vista Higher Learning,2011
- Translation ofGianni Bonadonna’s A War to Be Won tobe published on-line and in print by Angelo Guerini e Associati in 2012.
- Translator andeditor of Ugo Pastorino, Giuseppe Maraniello. Still aLive: 33 storie di chi ha vissuto e vinto la lotta contro ilcancro (33 stories of people who are fighting and winning their battle withcancer). Milano: Skira, 2010
- Translation ofRomeo Castellucci’s “The Iconoclasm of the Stage and the Return of the Body.The Carnal Power of Theatre” in: Theater,vol. 37, number 3, 2007, pp. 35-43
- Translation ofMariangela Gualtieri’s Preaching to Fish,Pubblicazioni Teatro della Valdoca,Cesena: 2005
- Translation ofsome of Pirandello's short stories previously included in the Taviani brothers’movie Kaos, for the New York TheatreWorkshop, directed by Martha Clarke, Summer 2003.
- Translation ofPirandello's Enrico IV (Henry IV) for the American RepertoryTheatre's 2001/2002 season. Published by: American Repertory Theatre Series,2002.
- Translation ofArchangels Don’t Play Pinball byDario Fo in: We Won’t Pay! We Won’t Pay! And Other Plays (edited by Ron Jenkins)Theatre Communications Group, 2001
- Book Review:“Winter, Susanne. Realtà illusoria e illusione vera. Le fiabe teatrali di CarloGozzi” in Annali d’Italianistica (edited by Gianni Cicali). Vol. 30, 2012.
- Book Review:“Martha Feldman. Opera and Sovereignty.Transforming Myths in Eighteenth-Century Italy. in: Italian Culture. Journal of the AmericanAssociation for Italian Studies (edited by Joseph Francese). Vol. 29, 2010.
- Book Review: “PhilipGossett. Divas and Scholars. PerformingItalian Opera” in: ItalianCulture. Journal of the American Association for Italian Studies (edited byJoseph Francese). Vol. 26-27, 2008
- Book Review: “Maria Galli Stampino, Staging the Pastoral: Tasso's Aminta and the Emergence of ModernWestern Theater” in: Italian Culture.Journal of the American Association for Italian Studies (edited by Joseph Francese). Vol. 24-25, 2007, pp. 195-6
Select scholarly presentations at national and international conferences:
- “Tinsel El Dorados: Hostile Cities in Italian Films about Immigration”in the panel “Italian Cinema and the City”: in “New Trends in Modern andContemporary Italian Cinema,” Indiana University, April 2012
- “Guilty Until Proven Innocent: Immigrants inItalian Film” in the panel “The Roadto Lamerica: Emigration Issues in Italian Cinema” and“Italy of the Mind” in the panel “The Road to Italy: Cinematic Portraits ofItaly from Abroad” at:The Image of the Road in Literature, Media, Society” Colorado Springs, March 2012
- “From ‘The Lady Is For Discarding’ tothe ‘Lord Who Should Be’: Fo’s Journey Through the Simulacra of Power From theLate Sixties to the Berlusconi Era” Will present paper and Chair the seminar:“Politics of Theatre: Challenging Authority, Defying Conventions,” NEMLA, Rochester, March 2012
- Pedagogy Workshop, NEMLA, Rochester, March 2012
- “Incomplete Identities:Pirandello and the Drama of the Modern Man” university-wide lecture, 3rdItalian Lecture Series, Chico University, Chico, November 2011
- “Voyeurismand Desire Keeping The Right Distance”N.E.V.I.S. (New Echoes and Voices in Italian Studies) 4th annualconference: Transcultural Italy, Chico University. Chico, November 2011
- “La giusta distanza From What? Mazzacurati and the Redressing ofTradition”. PAMLA, Scripps College, November 2011 in the panel: ContemporaryItalian Cinema
- -Chair of the panel:Italian II: Between History, Literature, and Film
- “Italy as the new Eden?Italian identity crisis in Costa-Gavras’ Versol’Eden and Diritti’s Il vento fa ilsuo giro”CSIS (Canadian Societyfor Italian Studies), Venice, June 2011
- “Fear (or covet?) thy neighbour: the 'other' in recentmigration cinema” Echi Oltremare, Rome, June 2011
- “DreamedCityscapes: Carmine Amoroso’s Cover Boy”Mediterranean Encounters, Colorado College, April 2011
- “Thedrawbacks of utopias in Mayorga’s Pazperpetua” NEMLA, New Brunswick, April 2011
- “Cinemaand Immigration: Fear of the Other in Recent Italian Film” N.E.V.I.S. (New Echoes and Voices in Italian Cinema), 2nd annual conference. Chico University. November 2010.
- “La primacosa bella” introduced and led discussion on Virzi’s film at Italian FilmFestival at University of Hawaii, Honolulu, November 2011
- “Cinema and Immigration:Fear of the Other in recent Italian film”. PAMLA, Honolulu, November 2010 inthe panel: Contemporary Italian Cinema I: Otherness and In-Betweenness (alsochairing: Contemporary Italian Cinema II: Old and New Trends)
- “TranslatingTheatre: Can Performance Save Meaning? Trying to ‘stick to the original’ in Fo,Pirandello, Costa” ALTA, Philadelphia, October 2010
- “Allegoryin Fo and Genet’s Puppets”. Chaired the seminar: Italian Political Theatre.NEMLA, Montreal, April 2010
- “‘WeInhabit a Language’: Perception of the Other in Amara Lakhous’ Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator inPiazza Vittorio” After Writing Back. Present and Future Perspectives inPostcolonial Studies. University of Bergamo October 2009
- “IlFo non capito: Lo svitato (1956)”Chaired the panel: Ridere tra le macerie: cinema comico italiano pre-boomeconomico (1945-1958). AAIS, New York May 2009
- “Deathby Water? Constructing the “other” in Melliti’s Io, l’altro” ACLA, Boston March 2009
- “TheBig Other in Marco Tullio Giordana’s Quandosei nato non puoi più nasconderti” Chaired the panel: Italian Theatre.NEMLA, Boston February 2009
- “Galiani’sjourney into opera: Il SocrateImmaginario” AAIS, Taormina May 2008
- “Itre bravi: XVI-century thugs or clever people?Mis-translating Dario Fo and Pirandello for the stage.” Chaired thepanel: Italian Theatre. NEMLA, Buffalo April 2008
- “Is the Fight Over? Contemporary South African Theatre and the politicsof neglect” ECLALS, Venice March 2008
- “Bombsin Milan: Staging Terror in the Theatre of Dario Fo e Franca Rame” MLA, ChicagoDecember 2007
- “LuigiRiccoboni and the Defense of the ArteRappresentativa” MLA, Chicago December 2007
- “Predica ai pesci e il viaggio oniricodel Teatro della Valdoca,” Fourth Annual Dombroski Italian Conference,September 2007
- “InMalaparte’s Skin” AAIS, Colorado May 2007
- “Bombsin Milan: Translating the theatre of Dario Fo” ACLA, Puebla, Mexico, April 2007
- “Galiani’sQuerelle: Il Socrate immaginariobetween parody and polemic” Third Annual Robert Dombroski Italian Conference,September 2006
- “Buildingthe Country: The Pursuit of Beauty in Camillo Boito’s Senso” Hofstra University, February 2006
- “ToMake People Listen, One has to Talk to Birds: Dario Fo Meets Francis of Assisi”Second International Conference on Dario Fo, Cambridge (England), April 2002
- “ViolatedBodies: Issues of Power and Control in Videodrome,The Matrix and eXistenZ” Comparative Literature Conference: Lost and Found,Harvard University, Spring 2000
Professional experience other than teaching:
Assistant director, dramaturg, and language consultant for Britannicus. Directed by Robert Woodruff, A.R.T. season 2006/2007 (January 2007)
Occasional collaborator with the American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge (Translator, Instructor, Dramaturgical Consultant) 2001-2007
Dramaturg, Assistant Director, andTranslator, for Cervantes’ Gaze –a re-elaboration of Cervantes’ Marvelous Pageant for the American Repertory Theatre’s first-year acting students, Cambridge and Moscow (Jan/Feb 2003)
Consecutive Interpreter for Sergio Escobar (director of the Piccolo Teatro di Milano) –visit to MIT and Harvard/A.R.T. (March 2002)
Translations coordinator and interpreter (programs, on stage, workshops) at the "Cantiere internazionale – Teatro giovani" in Forlì (June 2000, March 2001, June 2002)
Translated subtitles for Nemmeno in un sogno (“Not even in a dream”) by Gianluca Greco, for RAI Trade/Cannes Film Festival, and programs and press releases for several movies at the festival (April 2002)
Consecutive Interpreter on stage with Dario Fo at the American Repertory Theatre (Sept 2000)
Consecutive Interpreter on stage with Franca Rame (Summer 2000)
Consecutive Interpreter for Dr. Patch Adams at the first Festival of Comic Therapy at the Università di Alcatraz, Umbria, Italy (June 1999)
Assistant and Scholarly Consultant for Dario Fo. Lu santu jullare Françesco Festival di Spoleto, Umbria (Summer 1999)
Organizer of a two-month seminar on Native American poetry and culture at the College of Santa Fe (NM) and the Navajo Community College, AZ (Summer 1991)