MA in Creative Writing and Literature for Educators - Admission
The only thing you absolutely must have to apply to the program is an undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year institution in the U.S. or abroad. We do NOT require GRE or any other standardized test scores. All you really need to do is send us transcripts and tell us about yourself.
WHEN TO APPLY
To start courses in Fall (end of August to mid-December) and attend the June Residency: apply by April 15th
To start courses in late Summer (July to mid-August): apply by May 30th
To start courses in Spring (end of January to mid-May): apply by November 30th
Honestly, you can apply any time! You can expect a decision within a month, and if at all possible we will get you set up to start taking courses in the following session (Spring, Summer, or Fall). We do recommend you apply by the end of November if you want to start in Spring, and by April 15th if you want to come to the June residency and start your courses in Summer or Fall. Our regular summer session runs from early July to mid-August. In 2016, we are planning to offer the foundation course Reading Like a Writer in an earlier session, mid-May to the end of June. We strongly encourage you to apply by April 15th so you can take advantage of this.
Regardless of when you apply, we will expect you to come to the required 3-day residency as soon as you can: meeting your professors and classmates in person transforms the experience of taking courses online, and the residency is valuable in itself. The residency is always on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at the end of June. Click here for more about the residency.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Send an email (subject: “Application”) to firstname.lastname@example.org with a personal statement as a PDF or Word attachment. In at least a couple paragraphs, and at most a page or two, tell us about your professional background and why you think the program will be a good fit for you. Give us a sense of who you are, and what your goals are, as a teacher and a writer.
We also want a sense of how you write. We can try to draw conclusions from your personal statement, but we strongly encourage you to attach a writing sample to the same email. One short story, one chapter of a novel, a few poems, one act of a play, or one article or course paper is a good length—but use a piece you have edited, not a first draft. The writing sample is not technically required for a successful application—we’ve accepted applicants without one—but we definitely recommend it.
Letters of recommendation (always appreciated, but not required) can be sent to this address as well.
2. Go to FDU’s Graduate Admissions page, click APPLY ONLINE NOW, and do the application.
- Transcripts from all your undergraduate institutions are REQUIRED. Send them to Graduate Admissions, not the MA program.
- The personal statement requested by Graduate Admissions can be exactly the same as the one you email directly to the program.
- GRE and other test scores are NOT required.
- Letters of recommendation (personal, professional, or academic) are welcome, but are NOT required.
- The program is housed on the Florham campus in Madison, NJ.
Director - MA in Creative Writing & Literature
Literature, Language, Writing, and Philosophy Department
Fairleigh Dickinson University
285 Madison Ave - M-MS3-01
Madison, NJ 07940
Hennessy Hall (Mansion)