MA in Creative Writing and Literature for Educators - Admission
The only thing you absolutely must have to apply to the program is an undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year institution in the U.S. or abroad. We do NOT require GRE or any other standardized test scores.
WHEN TO APPLY
We accept applications on a rolling basis within the deadlines below. The residency must be taken within a year of enrollment (for instance, if you begin in summer and can't take the residency, you would take it the next June). We run courses during two summer sessions as well as fall and spring. To see the academic calendar session dates click here.
We recommend, if at all possible, beginning the program in the early summer session (late May) when we run the fundamental "Reading Like a Writer" course and then follow with the June Residency. To do this, apply by April 15th.
To attend the June residency and begin courses in late summer (early July) or fall apply by May 1st.
To start courses in late Summer (early July) and take the residency the following year, apply by May 31st.
To start courses in Spring (end of January to mid-May) and take the residency the following June, apply by December 1st.
Honestly, you can apply any time!
Regardless of when you apply, we will expect you to come to the required 3-day residency as soon as you can: meeting your professors and classmates in person transforms the experience of taking courses online, and the residency is valuable in itself. The residency is always on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at the end of June. Click here for more about the residency.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Send an email (subject: “Application”) to firstname.lastname@example.org with a personal statement as a PDF or Word attachment. In at least a couple paragraphs, and at most a page or two, tell us about your professional background and why you think the program will be a good fit for you. Give us a sense of who you are, and what your goals are, as a teacher and a writer.
We also want a sense of how you write. We can try to draw conclusions from your personal statement, but we strongly encourage you to attach a writing sample to the same email. One short story, one chapter of a novel, a few poems, one act of a play, or one article or course paper is a good length—but use a piece you have edited, not a first draft. The writing sample is not technically required for a successful application—we’ve accepted applicants without one—but we definitely recommend it.
Letters of recommendation (always appreciated, but not required) can be sent to this address as well.
2. To fill out an application, go to FDU’s Graduate Admissions page,
- Transcripts from all your undergraduate institutions are REQUIRED. Send them to Graduate Admissions, not the MA program.
- The personal statement requested by Graduate Admissions can be exactly the same as the one you email directly to the program.
- GRE and other test scores are NOT required.
- Letters of recommendation (personal, professional, or academic) are welcome, but are NOT required.
- The program is housed on the Florham campus in Madison, NJ.
Director - MA in Creative Writing & Literature
Literature, Language, Writing, and Philosophy Department
Fairleigh Dickinson University
285 Madison Ave - M-MS3-01
Madison, NJ 07940
Hennessy Hall (Mansion)