Becton College - Honors Programs
Discipline-oriented Becton Honors Program
The honors program at Maxwell Becton College of Arts and Sciences is the right choice for the student whose goal is excellence. The enhanced honors curriculum provides in-depth study for those stiving for proficiency in their major fields of study. In Fairleigh Dickinson University's tradition of excellence, students develop a strong foundation of skills that will benefit them in many future endeavors.
A student may select the Becton Honors Program in most of Becton College's majors, including:
- computer science
- creative writing
- electronic filmmaking and digital video design
- fine arts
- French language and literature
- political science
- Spanish language and literature
Students in the Becton College Honors Program enjoy a supportive and challenging academic atmosphere. The demanding and rigorous curriculum is complemented by extensive personalized attention that helps tailor students' studies to their needs. Students work closely with faculty members in honors seminars, in classes, and on a special honors project.
Students in the honors program:
- Engage in self-directed scholarly inquiry and research;
- Acquire sophisticated knowledge of and skills in their own field;
- Prepare for high levels of achievement in advanced study and professional life;
- Learn to explore new ideas and take intellectual risks;
- Develop an enhanced awareness of their discipline's standards and ethics;
- Cultivate habits of independent thought and creativity; and
- Strive for objectivity in scholarly discourse and analysis.
Honors students also are encouraged to take advantage of a unique cultural, academic and social experience by spending a semester at the University's Wroxton College in England. Housed in a 17th-century Jacobean mansion, Wroxton offers a diverse range of studies; a highly qualified, all-British faculty; and the enlightenment of studying abroad. While there, students can venture on exciting cultural and recreational excursions to places such as Oxford, Stratford-upon-Avon, London and mainland Europe.
University Honors Program
Students interested in a more broadly based honors experience rather than honors in a major can choose the University Honors Program. It has an interdisciplinary focus building on honors courses in the University Core and has a separate application process.
Florham Scholars Program
An honors program for residential freshman students, the Florham Scholars Programs focus on developing students’ interest and knowledge in special studies areas that reflect the University’s mission in global education. At present, students can participate in one of three programs: