Faculty Resources - Entertainment & Recreation
One of the many benefits of being in New Jersey is the access to so many different environments to suit your lifestyle. New York City is an hour from campus by car or train, while the famous Jersey Shore is just about an hour, as well. In less than an hour, you can go hiking in the hills of Western New Jersey, tour the antique shops of Red Bank, dine in one of the many restaurants in New Brunswick, and go on a shopping spree in one of the many major shopping malls in the area. Here are just a few good resources for fun, Fun, FUN in the Garden State:
- NJ.com Fun Guide - Your guide to entertainment in NJ!
- Fun New Jersey - What to do and where to go in NJ!
- Appalachian National Scenic Trail
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
- Gateway National Recreation Area in Monmouth County
- Morristown National Historical Park
- Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge - Located in Morris County, the Great Swamp is a great place to see wildlife in its natural habitat.
- South Mountain Reservation - over 2,000 acres of reserve; located in the towns of Maplewood, Millburn, and West Orange.
- The Jersey Shore!
- New Jersey Devils (Hockey)
- New Jersey Nets (Basketball)
- New York Yankees (Baseball)
- New York Mets (Baseball)
- New York Giants (Football)
- New York Jets (Football)
There are outstanding 22 professional theaters in the state of NJ and far more community theaters on top of that. Some popular venues close to campus include:
- Shakespeare Theatre of NJ - Located on the Drew University Campus, it is New Jersey's only professional theatre company dedicated to the production of Shakespeare's plays and other classic works.
- Playwrights Theatre of NJ, Madison NJ - "Founded in 1986, Playwrights Theatre is a community of professional playwrights, theatre artists and art educators that provides opportunities for writers to develop their works in a nurturing environment and connect with new audiences." Located 5 minutes from campus in downtown Madison.
- Papermill Playhouse, Millburn NJ - Founded in 1934, this professional theater presents Broadway-quality productions; and it is located less than 20 minutes from campus.
- Community Theater, Morristown NJ - A non-profit performing arts organization that presents a wide range of programs.
- New Jersey Theater Alliance - the consortium of professional, not-for-profit theatres in New Jersey.
- NJ Theater.com - links to professional theaters and currently running shows.
- Bowcraft Amusement Park - Located about 30 minutes from campus in Scotch Plains, NJ.
- Land of Make Believe - Located about an hour west of campus in Hope, NJ.
- Six Flags Great Adventure - Located about 75 minutes from campus in Jackson, NJ, this is NJ's largest amusement park.
- Mountain Creek Waterpark - Located one hour from campus in Vernon, NJ.
Becton College of the Arts and Sciences
Fairleigh Dickinson University
285 Madison Ave - M-MS2-01
Madison, NJ 07940
Mansion - Room 14