Biology MS - Requirements
Department of Biological and Allied Health Sciences
- A minimum of 32 credits, the equivalent of one year of full-time study beyond the undergraduate degree, is required for the Master of Science degree in biology.
- A minimum of 21 credits must be biology courses, 12 of which must be completed within the department of biological and allied health sciences of the Maxwell Becton College of Arts and Sciences.
Specialized areas of concentration include:
- biology education
- A minimum of 10 credits may include graduate courses from business, chemistry, education or psychology, as approved by the graduate program director. Students should note that Silberman College of Business courses taken by MS students in biology also may fulfill preliminary requirements for an MBA
- A maximum of 6 credits may be transferred from other institutions, with the approval of the graduate program director.
- Students must consult the graduate program director or department chair when registering for courses.
- A cumulative grade point ratio of 3.00 (B) is required for graduation. If a grade lower than B is attained, the student will be placed on notice. If a grade in the C range is earned, the student will be warned that any additional grade below a B will result in dismissal from the program.
- Students have the option of completing their degrees with or without a research and thesis option.
Students who select the research and thesis option must declare their intent before registering beyond 15 credits and must begin preliminary work with a mentor. Students electing the research and thesis option must complete the 6-credit sequence consisting of:
The thesis topic must be presented to and approved by the graduate faculty. The thesis must be written in the prescribed form and submitted for review by members of the graduate faculty. A thesis defense must be scheduled and the thesis successfully defended as a requirement of graduation.
Dr. Patricia Melloy
Department of Biological & Allied Health Sciences
285 Madison Ave. - M-SB1-01
Madison, NJ 07940